Hughes HDVR2 uses?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by aristotlewilde, Aug 16, 2007.

1. aristotlewilde

aristotlewilde New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    I just cancelled my service in the room where my HDVR2 was.

I own the box (not like the new leased boxes).

Are there any uses for it? Can it run a Linux Distro?

I am sure it isn't worth much to sell, does anyone parts?

I'll probably get more for the 35gb hard drive than selling teh unit whole...

2. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    lol good luck selling a 35gb hard drive. Brand new 300gb drives are ~$50.

3. aristotlewilde

Mar 29, 2004
    I know. I kind of meant it was worth more to me than what I'd sell the unit for. Tossing it into an enclosure, I can use it as a toss around portable drive.

4. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    It looks like on ebay they are going for about $50.

5. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    yep. I just bought a sd-dvr40 for $40. many of them are going for between 30-50.

6. aristotlewilde

Mar 29, 2004
    I did a quick Ebay search and came up with the same numbers. If I can get $50 out of it, that is cool.

7. nonamesleft

nonamesleft New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Yup, looks like $40 to $50 is the typical selling price on Ebay for a HDVR2 in good working order (a range of $35 - $60 covers almost all of them).

To answer your other question - what can you do with it, if you keep it? You can use it to view shows already recorded on it. Or modify it to connect to your home network and pass through shows from another (subscribed) dtivo. Or to display photos or play music. It already runs linux, but has a really anemic processor, so it would only be suitable to run the most mundane linux tasks. You could cannabilize it for parts. Or take the drive out & use it for file storage (with an USB enclosure).

You can't use it to record new shows (if it's not subscribed). It can't be made to work as a stand alone tivo and won't be able to record cableTV or any other source.

8. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    I have purchased 2 HDVR2s from Ebay in the last 2 weeks. I paid $35 for one and $48 for the other, including shipping.

9. scottt

scottt Macintosh Guru

Sep 6, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    You could use it to make a hat, a brooch, a pterodactyl........

10. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    :up: :up:
    Thanks Jonny! :)

11. aristotlewilde

Mar 29, 2004
    Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue...

12. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Normaly i would say welcome to the forum :up: But How about welcome from the lurking to the posting :up: :) .

Btw did anyone mention this use. It makes a great mousetrap(unfortunatly evey time it kills a mouse you have to reset your breakers :D ) Heres how. Remove all the parts you can use making sure the power supply is still atached. Cut a mouse size hole in the side. Place a piece of cheese. And Voila :D ZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAPPPPPP.

For getting rid of larger pests such as Mothers in law. Remove the lid. And place a toilet seat on the top. ZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAPPPP.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! Fried Mother in Law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Does this mean you canceled all DirecTV service? Or just removed that unit from your account? If you still have DirecTV, why not relocated the HDVR2?

14. aristotlewilde

Mar 29, 2004
    I removed this from my account. We downsized by one television.

I just tested the unit, and it is working perfectly. Dropped it on craigslist locally. This way, no shipping hassle.

If anyone here has any interest, drop me a PM

15. formulaben

formulaben Formula Tivo Racing

Jan 27, 2003
    Les Bois
    I'm going to fix my old deactivated HDVR2 and give it to a friend. I need an image...anyone know where to direct me?! A current software version would be nice.

16. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    http://www.dvrupgrade.com

17. formulaben

formulaben Formula Tivo Racing

Jan 27, 2003
    Les Bois
    Thanks!