Hughes HDVR2 upgrade disk size limit?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by KentSRose, Dec 10, 2006.

1. KentSRose

KentSRose New Member

Jun 6, 2003
    I upgraded my Hughes HDVR2 about 2 years ago, and I seem to remember at the time that upgrades were limited to two 160 GB hard drives. But I am reading on this board about people using huge hard drives. Does the size limit no longer apply?

Thanks!

2. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Pretty much.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    As long as you use a LBA48 cd to boot into Linux for doing the mfsbackup/mfsrestore, you can go to as large as 750gb drives I believe.

You also have to be running ver 6.2 for it to work.

4. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    If you go 254 GB or larger you may need an extra utility called tpip to make the swap file the correct size. The usual utility for initializing the Tivo file structure is called mfstools and (I think) it will only let you specify the swapfile size param as a max of 127. An old Tivo rule-of-thumb is 1GB of swap per 2GB of drive size, but that may be total overkill these days.

Try searching for tpip in these forums or via Google. Word of caution: There is a V1.1 of tpip and a later version; they both will work but each has different syntax.

I built a 300GB single drive DTivo a few weeks ago and used tpip after I had imaged the disk using mfstools - everything is working fine. The box isn't doing anything at the moment and is using 11GB of the 157GB swapfile, so I probably didn't even need the tpip step at all with a 300GB drive, but I did it "just in case".

5. voidptr

voidptr SQL Geek

Feb 8, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think under normal operation it doesn't use the swapfile much and a under 127 megs is fine. The only time it needs massive swap is when MFS hoses itself and it goes to the green screen trying to fix it. If it runs out of swap doing that, it'll just be stuck forever and can't recover without a drive re-image.