Hughes HDVR2 Crapping out/Replacement?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by faust1200, Sep 1, 2011.

1. faust1200

faust1200 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Hello, I'm new to the forums.

As the title says, I have a DirecTV Hughes HDVR2 (circa 2003) that is generally crapping out. It has 2 issues:

One of the tuners produces stuttering and tiled images on some channels. Especially anything in the 200's and HBO. I have swapped the cables between the tuners and have deduced that it is in fact the tuner and not the cables. The other tuner works perfectly fine.

The other issue is that it randomly freezes up and I can only reset it by unplugging/replugging it. This happens about once a week.

I'm looking to replace it but I don't know where to look. Obviously, I know how to use Google but I was wondering if anybody had any information about a reputable source.

2. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    I've noticed some stuttering on my Huges as well (specifically on channels higher then around 200). After calling up DirecTV about this, they suggested unplugging both Coax cables in the back and waiting 30 seconds and plugging them back in. Stating that sometimes there's a static charge that builds up on the cables and unplugging them clears this.

I had to do this once a day for about 2 days, and my issue cleared up. I didn't look to see if it was one of my tuners as it seemed to be happening on both.

Give this a try and see if it helps before you have to look at other options (new replacement Huge/ or... gasp ... one of their own DVRs)

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The second tuner crapping out is the classic symptom of a power supply that is failing. Strange but true. The power supply is easily replaceable from a "donor" box you buy on eBay or a "new" one you buy elsewhere.

4. rwardfla

rwardfla New Member

Feb 24, 2009
    I finally got tired of the HDVR2 messing up.I used to have 3 of them and only 1 is still working correctly.I converted to the Directv DVRs and they're not as terrible as they used to be.When my last HDVR2 fails(as I know it will) I'll replace it with the Directv unit also.I miss Tivo but can't stand the tuner 2 failures.

5. faust1200

faust1200 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I finally went with an HD setup and a DirecTV dvr. No complaints so far.