HR21: Upgrade Internal HD

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gq91355, Apr 19, 2008.

1. gq91355

gq91355 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Valencia, CA

Advertisements

I'm aware of the option to connect an external HD to the HR21. Can anyone point me to a link with instructions or a thread about upgrading the internal HD on the HR21?

Thanks!

2. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    DBSTalk will be your best resource for this kind of question. FYI that if you crack it open and replace the internal drive you are breaking the terms of your lease. Just letting you know.

3. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    Why bother, get a 1TB Esata, plug it in RBR and you are done, why run a chance of violating your lease terms

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The details vary depending on which manufacturer of HR21 you have, the 100, 200 and 700 are somewhat different internally. However, all this really changes is how you disassemble the box to replace the hard disk.

The actual act of replacing is simple. Disconnect old, connect new, put box back together and power on.

As mentioned, this technically violates your lease agreement. There are some valid reasons for doing it if you want to go that way, if you understand the risks.

5. gq91355

gq91355 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Valencia, CA

Advertisements

I likely will end up going that route. Any recommendations on the best brand 1 TB external HD to use?

Literally, remove the existing HD, replace it with a new HD out of the box, and that's it? No formatting, software, or anything?

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No formatting, no software. Just stick a blank disk (or previously formatted, doesn't matter) in there. When the box powers up, it will reformat the disk as needed. Some of your preferences will be retained, as they're not stored on the disk, but any programs or series links will not.

You want a SATA II disk. I'd recommend looking for one with a reputation for running cool and quiet and not just going for the cheapest. You don't need the "highest performing" drive in this application.

FWIW, I have done this with both my HR2x boxes.

7. gq91355

gq91355 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Valencia, CA
    Thanks for the info, Steve. I would be very interested in the specific make/model HD you got. I plan on upgrading the HR21-100.

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I used "Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB" in each. There may be newer models. Samsung Spinpoint and the Seagate AV line are also good choices.

9. Avenger

Avenger Also Banned

Mar 26, 2002
    Wisconsin
    A poster at dbstalk has kindly written a whole step-by-step for swapping the internal drive while preserving season passes / recordings / etc. It worked perfectly for me. Here's the link:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100894&page=6

You could use a variant of it to transfer recordings and such from the internal drive to an added external drive as well.

As for the lease, screw 'em. I kept the original drive on the shelf and, if I need to, I could swap it back in within 20 minutes to send the unit back to them. They'd never know the difference.

10. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    All three of my units are using WD 1TB drives in Antec MX-1 enclosures. This seems to be the most widely used and problem free combination. Runs super cool and you can't even hear it.

Also, if using an external drive, I recommend opening the HR2x case and just unplugging the internal drive. Since it's not used when an external drive is connected, it will run cooler. Just keep in mind that the temperature reading comes from the drive, so if you unplug it, the temp will always read 32F (0C).

As for the whole 'it will violate your lease agreement' scare tactic, don't forget Tivo had the same 'opening will void your warranty' thing and it didn't stop anyone. IMO, it's a non-issue.

11. gq91355

gq91355 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Valencia, CA
    Looks like Costco.com has the Western Digital 1 TB My Book, with eSATA, for $229. Has anyone tried this model?

12. Mark Lopez

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    I think there is an issue with the My Book (or some specific model) with the HR21 series (but works ok with HR20). Your best bet is to check over at dbstalk to see which unit has the issues.

<edit> It looks like it's the FAP unit that has issues. But this thread will probably answer ay questions you may have

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1288747

13. EricG

EricG TiVo Junkie

Jan 31, 2002
    The...
    Just for my own info, how much HD content can you get on a TeraByte?

14. gr00vie

gr00vie New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Turlock Ca
    I just did this from newegg and it cost me about 286.00 total.

Not sure how many hours I have though.

Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

and

Antec MX-1 USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - Retail

15. Mark Lopez

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    Generally speaking, each one hour of mpeg4 HD appears to uses about .8% of the available space. So I would say about 125hrs of HD. YMMV.

16. dia_cero2002

dia_cero2002 New Member

Feb 27, 2004

I'm a fan of the Samsung Spinpoint. They're heavier and feel like they're more solidly made. They're also very quiet.

17. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Anyone know if the WD Green Power 1TB drive will work as an INTERNAL replacement on the HR21?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136151

I see someone mentioned that they used it in an Antec case, but I'd prefer to put it internal to save space and power.

I've upgraded several TiVos in the past - and this looks like it should be a drop-in replacement so really easy.

Let me know, thanks!

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Any SATA drive will work internally. Keep in mind that you are not supposed to open the box - you (probably) don't own it.

19. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Great, thanks!

I probably don't own my current one - but since they replaced an owned HR10-250 with this, I'm going to do it anyway and hope for the best... :)

Thanks again!

20. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    BTW - I've seen some people post about needing to put a jumper on some drives... is that only for external?