HR20-700S - Works great, what's the big deal?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Bionic_peon, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Bionic_peon

Bionic_peon New Member

Apr 12, 2002

Advertisements

Short of the no dual buffers issue and the fact that OTA HD isnt enabled until 12/1, I love the new HR20. I've used the SAT-60, the Hughes Tivo Series 2 and the HR10-250 and while I loved them, they had their share of issues.

Now if your HR20 is locking up and freezing I can see that, but there's a ton of features I've seen so far that the HR10-250 didnt have that I see real value in. For example, the +/- 12 hours in the guide is great, the collapsable organization of recordings in the playlist so its easier to read, the mini guide to use the guide and watch your show at the same time, the PIP-like thumbnail image in the top right when you do go to the full guide, transparent menu over the image so it doesn't interrupt your watching.

I've recorded about 8 programs (some HD some SD) and they all played back in their entirety without issues.

HDMI, eSATA, Ethernet, faster scrolling, the hardware is good too.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Hi Mr. Shill. Nice to meet you.

3. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    And you REALLY are expecting an "atta boy" in THIS forum??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
  5. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding TiVo Special Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

you guys are mean....and I like it!

6. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Your info is only welcome here if you find the unit stinks, then it will be greeted and cuddled by everyone here. Anything that suggests that it's decent or that anything about it is one iota better in your opinion than TiVo will result in what you've gotten here which is pretty much "go away, we only like TiVo Fanboys."

7. dscott72

dscott72 New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Newnan, GA
    Sounds like a DirecTv lacky trying to promote the piece of crap HR20-700 to us die hard DirecTv/Tivo users.

Get a clue. IT ISN'T TIVO. We want TIVO. Enough said.

8. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    No, NOT really...guess some people just do NOT get the radical concept of a forum that clearly states ONLY FOR THE DISCUSSION OF THE D* HD TIVO'S - NOT DISH'S DVR'S, NOT D* POS DVR'S, NOT MOTOROLA DVR'S, nor how GOOD OR how BAD any of the above metioned NON-D* HD DVR'S ARE. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Gee, maybe THAT'S why there's umpteen OTHER forums for the disussion of said DVR'S above. :p

9. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    I hear ya dishrich, I do, but if that were it, why do these same posters engage and contribute to threads that are designed only to tear down other DVR's? Seems the only time the posters here look for that seperation is when the message doesn't match their opinion. When it does, that forum rule is ignored completely and the bash fest is on.

Just an observation that it seems cool (in the eyes of posters) to discuss what's wrong with it, but completely taboo for someone to have any level of satisfaction.

10. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    You know when I bought my Honda Pilot I spent quite a bit of time on a forum dedicated to honda pilots. (yep they have a whole forum for Honda Pilots) They even included a whole section to compare the Pilot with other automobiles. What a concept comparing other products in the same category. I don't understand why people get so upset about comparing DVRs not made by TiVo. It is not like this site is part of TiVo inc. It even says that below the TCF banner at the top of the site.

11. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    Let's call it what it is - many disillusioned D* subs who feel betrayed and taking out their anger on the subs who have moved on and are just trying to share and spread hope to fellow hr10 users.

It reminds me of shows like Jerry Springer when a husband cheats on his wife and the wife attacks the other women instead of the husband.

I am amazed at what some people will put up with especially when there are better alternatives.

12. hongcho

hongcho .

Nov 26, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    > HR20-700S - Works great, what's the big deal?

It's not a TiVo?

Hong.

13. heaphus

heaphus Geaux Tigers!

Aug 30, 2004
    SE. Louisiana
    There are many other DirecTV subjects that are freely discussed here, that have less specific relevance to the HR10-250 than the product, HR20, that is directly intended to replace it. If we are going to be such sticklers, then all of the general programming, future programming, Ruppert Murdoch/News Corp., retention deals, blah blah blah discussions should be met with the same "This a DirecTivo only forum..." rhetoric. The comparison between discussing the future of DTV HD PVRs(HR20), and the discussion of Comcast and Motorola PVRs, which have no connection to either the HR10, or DirecTV, is simply apples and oranges. You simply can't compare the relevance of the HR20 which, barring a major reversal of the course by DTV that will eventually make the HR10 and this forum inconsequential, and products from other, competing companies. With that said, I find it interesting, and even humorous, that this recent thread, which asks about HD channels on Dish and evolves into a discussion about the merits of the new Dish pvr, has not been met with one single admonishing post. To sum it up, I just don't see the harm in a little bit of discussion about the HR20, and the pros and cons of it versus the HR10. If someone comes here and asks a more specific detailed question about it, a simple polite note pointing the user to the "other forum" will suffice.

Perhaps we need a sub-forum called " The DirecTivo users therapy couch" for all of us to take our frustrations out on DTV for making the switch. Truth be told, I could spend a little time in there, LOL.

14. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    About a year ago when the R15 came out, TiVo asked David to ban discussion of the unit here. It's Tivo the company that fears this discussion and they justify it (probably rightfully so), with their sponsor dollars.

15. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

I'm all ears...what's the 'better alternative?'

16. ethos

ethos New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Hey fanboys, tivo is not that great.

Ultimate TV was much better and more stable than anything Tivo has done.

Flame away.

17. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

I use the moto6412 III and sony dhg500 with comcast. Very responsive, instant one touch record, much easier access to menus and favorites guide, native passthrough, dual 90 min buffers (single tuner with sony), much better PQ and very reliable. We also get more HD content including all local HD and 4 premium HD movie channels. We just got MTV HD and will soon be getting NatGeo HD and A&E HD.

Much better than D* and the hr10 (IMHO) and less expensive when bundled with HS internet and phone.

18. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

I agree. Of all the dvrs I've used, UTV was the best (the moto6412 is a close second). Too bad microsoft hasn't come out with an HD version of UTV for use with cablecard. At least not yet... :)

19. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Talk about fanboys. Feature for feature UTV was competitive with TiVo for about fifteen minutes after it came out, then TiVo left it in the dust. Unless, of course, you were really enamored of PiP and didn't care whether your programs actually recorded.

I guess it was better than a VCR, though.
    http://www.pvrcompare.com/

20. redfiver

redfiver New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I didn't like the UTV at all. My favorite was the SAT-60. I like HD, but still miss my SAT-60. It was rock solid. Never had a problem and I loved the interface (which made me a tivo-lover). Now that I have a HR20 and a HR10-250, I'm having trouble with the HR20. To me, it's just not as intuative as the HR10. granted, it could be because I've been using Tivo for so long now, anything else is very different. Many features of the HR20 and the HR10 are similar and I can adjust if necessary (or just run both for now...). But, my favorite thing on Tivo compared to the HR20 is dual buffers. I love the dual buffers. I want the dual buffers. The dual buffers is the deal killer for me on the HR20. Sometimes I don't only watch recorded shows, but then i time shift while using the dual buffers. This is especially true with sports. I really hate this about the HR20 and I often find myself hitting the 'down' arrow on the HR20 to great fustration. That and OTA recordings, but that's supposed to be coming on the HR20 so I can overlook that one.