Hr10 Or HR20 on vacation

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by coachO, Jun 26, 2009.

1. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...

Advertisements

If I take either unit on vacation with me and disconnect the non-DVR local D* at my new location and connect it to my DVR, will it work just as if I was at home. Secondly, will I get my local channels.

I want to be sure and record the Tour de France and I want to watch some shows already on my dvr.

Thanks in advance.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    That depends. Do you have the same dish at your "new locations" as the dish at your home? And how far away is that new location? Local channels are beamed on "spot beam transponders", so if you get too far from Louisville you won't receive those channels.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Also, to record the MPEG4 HD you'll need the Slimline dish and the HR20 there.

4. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    All good, so either will work. If you have a different dish, you may have to go through setup again (and again later when you return).

But, if you have no dish at the new location (and it sounds like you do) the HR2x's now time out at about 13 hours, meaning you can't continue to play recorded shows without connection to the sat. The HR10 does not have this "feature", so is the better choice for those who are just taking the DVR.

5. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I dont know what dish is at the location but sounds like I should take the HR20 and give it a try.

6. EJ

EJ New Member

Nov 3, 1999
    Minot, ND
    I have done this with a 10-250 and it worked fine. never tried with a HR20.

7. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I didn't get to test this. While my location had D*, they didn't have Versus. The TOF was/is being streamed so I watched it on my computer.