HR10 MPEG2/HR20 MPEG4 dish question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jbauer, Aug 11, 2007.

1. jbauer

jbauer New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    San...
    Hi All,

I'm going through the same hand wringing that many of you are.

I LOVE my TiVo and my HR10, but it seems our hands are really being forced. I guess that I have to now consider the HR20 in order to get the new HD content that is coming. Not at all interested in cable.

Ok, so my question - I share a dish with another homeowner in my building. If I switch to an MPEG4 compatible dish, will the guy that I share the dish with - who has MPEG2 equipment, lose his signal?

Also, seperate question - does the HR20 have OTA? If not, is it wired for it and going to be an upcoming feature?

- Thanx
    - Jon

2. BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    jbauer,
    The HR10 and HR20 both run on the 5 LNB dish just fine. The HR20 does support OTA. Hope this helps.
    BigBearf

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Sure, it'll work.

But my advice? I would graciously disconnect from and "donate" to the other homeowner sole ownership of the existing dish and install the 5-lnb for yourself. Even if replacing it for both owners goes perfectly, the first little problem he ever has will become your problem.

4. jbauer

jbauer New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    San...
    Hm. I have a 4 LNB dish up there now, has been there for about 4.5 years, we spent about $400 to have it done "right" - with a non penetrating mount and all, and haven't had any problems... I hear what you are saying, but my experience has been pretty good so far...

- Jon

5. jbauer

jbauer New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    San...
    Ok, so what's a better deal, to swap my HR10 for an HR20 with DirecTV or sell the HR10 myself and buy an HR20 from DTV?

- Jon

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    DirecTV will most likely let you keep your HR10-250 if you upgrade ("swap") for an HR20 HD DVR. Many of us use both.

7. jbauer

jbauer New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    San...
    Yeah, just finishing on the phone with DTV.

They gave me the the HR20, dish, installation, & 6 months of SHO all for free. No swap.

Thanks all!

- Jon

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    4 LNB dish? Never heard of such a beast. Maybe you're referring to the 4 outputs from the dish.

You'll have to see if the larger masted 5LNB dish can be mounted on the non-penetrating mount.

9. jbauer

jbauer New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    San...
    Oops. Yeah, that's what I meant. Yeah, I hope the new dish will fit. I'll look into that.

- Thanx
    - Jon

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Good luck!