HR10 "forgets" Satellite Input #1 after power outage

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JaserLet, Jan 1, 2006.

1. JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    Anyone else had this problem?... My HR10-250 does not see the Satellite Input #1 signal when it is first powered up. Satellite Input #2, from the same multiswitch, shows a good signal. The solution I have found is to unplug the receiver from the power outlet, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in again. After starting up a second time it finally sees a signal from both Satellite Inputs #1 and #2.

Is this a software bug? My unit is running version 3.1.5f-01-2-357.

Or is this a hardware problem? This is driving me nuts!! I first ran across this problem when originally installing the receiver. Then again when I ran a second cable for Satellite Input #2. And once again when we had a power outage yesterday. Every time the receiver starts up after having lost power it only sees a signal on input #2. I have to manually cycle the power in order for it to see a signal on both tuners.

I originally thought this was a cable or multiswitch problem. I ran new cables and swapped cables. I ran the cables to both my 16 port multiswitch and directly to the 4-port multiswitch on my dish. I worked through the initial setup and Satellite/Multiswitch detection/setup several times. Nothing solves my problem. Due to the cost of the HR10-250 and the fact that we have 1 -2 hour long power outages about once a month, this is a problem that I cannot ignore. Has anyone else had this problem??

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It does seem that the unit has a problem. Short of replacing it, I'd get a UPS so that it stays powered during power outages. And, if you do replace it, still get a UPS.

3. ScottP461

ScottP461 Member

Sep 3, 2005
    After hours of rebooting over and over and just hoping that both tuners will be active, I found a solution!

Disconnect the dish cables from the back of the receiver, reboot and when it reaches the "check signal strength" screen, reconnect the cables! Be careful not to short the center wire of the cable to the threads of the connector (There is LNB control voltage from the receiver to the dish and it will spark! Don't know if it will damage anything, but why take the chance.) Confirm that you have signal (you will!) and proceed!

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It is very important to have the TiVo or any DVR connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply!

5. ScottP461

ScottP461 Member

Sep 3, 2005
    I agree! I have all my equipment on UPS's, including my 2 DVR's, but software updates and other "normal" situations that require reboot still occur. One time the signal from a intermittently weak transponder was so error laden, that the unit rebooted spontaneously. It was working very hard to try and decode the mess and finally just gave up!! This is another story, but sometimes reboots just happen or are required.

My "solution" mentioned previously, however, was somewhat incomplete. I was describing how to get the tuners working by repeating guided set up. This is not necessary! By doing the same thing during a simple reboot, reconnect the cables when the process hangs at the "downloading from the satellite" stage. It should then proceed and complete the reboot.

I had 2 replacement units sent, due to other operational imperfections, and all 3 had problems with the tuners initializing "dead" randomly! All I can figure is that the presence of the signal on power up is somehow overloading the tuners and they don't initialize properly.

Reconnecting the dish cables when they are needed has never failed to work.

FYI, I am still using my first unit, since the 2 replacements had worse problems than what I was trying to solve!

The HR10 is a fickle beast, but it can be tamed!

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I third the UPS suggestion as you are obviously aware of your cash outlay per the comment above, therefore you really have to spend more to insure the purchase (via UPS).

Personally I'd spend more than you need to since you really have a recurring outage problem. I'm sure a cheap UPS will run tivo for a short time, but i purchased a UPS that will have several hours running time for tivo (or a shorter time if we keep the tv on of course)