HR10 for OTA only?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by strejcek, Sep 23, 2006.

1. strejcek

strejcek Member

Mar 15, 2006

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in all of these threads, but I'm too lazy to search :D

Anyway, if I disconnect my sat coax to run those to another receiver, possibly a faster hd dvr manufactured by another company :rolleyes: , will the HR 10 record my OTA signals as long as I do not cancel my programming with D**?

Thanks for any answers anyone can post!

2. finaldiet

finaldiet New Member

May 10, 2004
    Oak forest, Il.
    I believe you can as I have seen this on other posts as I had the same question.

3. dbett

dbett Hmm?

Aug 13, 2001
    IIRC the Guide data comes via satellite. So without the satellite coax connection, the box will be nothing more than a VCR - ie, no season passes, no record by show name, etc.

4. ProStreet

ProStreet New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Kenosha, Wi.
    So does that mean I could drop my HD package and still record OTA programs? I watch my locals in HD, but there is nothing I watch on D* in HD. The wife always complains about how much it costs to "watch TV".

5. Paul E

Paul E New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM

Advertisements

I haven't subscribed to D*'s HD package for over a year, and I record HD OTA just fine on my HR10-250. You don't need the HD Satellite feed to get the guide data for your local OTA HD broadcasts. (you do need to maintain standard D* service, though)

6. ProStreet

ProStreet New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Kenosha, Wi.
    Looks like I will be dropping the HD package!!!

Thanks!!!

7. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I dropped the HD package as soon as D* started charging me for it.

It was a little too much money for channels I never watch, and never would.

I still get HBO-HD, SHO-HD and TNT-HD, which were the only ones I watched anyway,
    and I can put that $10 to better use.

OTA on the other hand, I'm recording at least 4 hours a night, up to 8 hours on one night.

phox

8. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    The satellite is what lets your box know you still have Tivo & directv service. Within a few hours, it'll stop being a tivo, and will just let you watch OTA programming, but nothing else.

It won't even remap your channels, instead of 2-1 for CBS here in L.A. it was 60-1 (or something like that)

-smak-