HR10-250 won't boot anymore - what to do?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Dylan, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Virginia

Advertisements

I had a couple of power outages this weekend and my TiVo didn't survive. When it boots it sometimes hangs on the Powering Up screen and sometimes on acquiring satellite data. It's out of warranty and I've never opened it up to make a backup. I don't know if it's a hard drive failure or some other component. Hopefully, just the hard drive. Any suggestions?

And you don't need to tell me now. When I get this fixed/replaced I'll be putting it on a UPS. Lesson learned.

2. scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    I had a similar problem a couple of months ago - the hard disk has failed. If it's out of warranty, and you don't feel comfortable with configuring up a new drive yourself, you could go to Weaknees, etc., and check out getting a new hard drive from them.

3. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Virginia
    I bought a new drive and imaged it with the InstantCake from PTVUpgrade. It's all good now.

4. ScottP461

ScottP461 Member

Sep 3, 2005
    DON'T BUY A NEW DRIVE!!

The tuners in the HR10 sometimes don't initialize properly on restart/power up!

Here's what you do...

Disconnect your satellite cables from the HR10, then restart/reboot/plug in the unit and wait until the sequence hangs at "acquiring information from the satellite". Reconnect the cables. The download will then proceed and the restart will complete. If this doesn't work, then maybe you do need a new drive, but this should work!

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

If you have the protection agreement it will be covered. If not, I guess you wish you had it now.

6. ddruker

ddruker New Member

May 16, 2004
    DTV doesn't seem to mind if you sign up for the protection agreement after your HD Tivo is already broken. There have been many posts on this here. Ethics issues are up to you after you read the posts.

7. Mr.Pibb

Mr.Pibb New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Is there a time limit for how soon a claim can be filed after you sign up for the protection plan? I got home today to the "powering up" screen and a nasty "click click" from my hard drive :-(
    Maybe this would be the advantage of the new leasing program starting in March. If it breaks, they have to fix it!
    I look at it this way, if I'm "required" to keep my service for a year because of their contract, they should be required to make sure I can actually receive their service.

Edit: I read the terms, it says it goes into effect one month after it the plan is started. One year contract on the protection plan with auto renewal. I'm going to see if DirecTV will just replace the thing. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be trying a drive update.

Edit again: I guess it would have paid to just call DirecTV first. I was quickly passed from the first tier of tech support to the second. After just a couple questions, he agreed that the hard drive failed. He looked and saw that I activated the receiver last July and said, "you're still in the 1 year warranty period". I thought they only had a 90 day warranty, but I guess that isn't the case. They are sending a replacement withing 2-3 days no charge.