HR10-250 with Vonage - Questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ajay, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1 of 11
    ajay

ajay New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Central...
    I have an HR10-250 with Vonage and I am able to get it to successfully dial out using the NY 212 area code although I am in Illinois.

I have several questions I hope someone can answer:
    1. Why can I connect to a NY number and not to a local? I've listened in while my unit was dialing. The local number answers and attempts to handshake, but to no avail. Eventually, my unit times out. Sounds like a modem (or noise) problem. I have a DSL filter in the line also.

2. Although my unit makes successful calls (according to the HR10 screen), my units dials out 6 to 10 times each day. All one minute calls. Why is this? It happens in spite of the fact that the next scheduled call is a day or two away. I have the unlimited minute plan so I am not concerned about long distance calls.

3. Does calling out on the NY 212 number also connect to DirecTV? If I order pay per view with my remote, will it get reported properly?

4. What is it with the various prefixes and pauses, etc. I must use to get the unit to successfully dial out? I"m using

Dial in number does not matter
    Dial Prefix: 12122773895
    Call waiting Prefix: ,,#019,,
    phone available: off
    dial tone detect: off

No dsl filter, vonage line quality set to highest

I've seen several variations on the above theme, ie different numbers in the call waiting prefix, some starting out with an *70 and/or *99. What do the different values represent?

Sorry about the ramble, but I'd like to get a handle on what I"m doing and why.

Thanks all

ajay

2. Jan 3, 2006 #2 of 11
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    When my neighboor was trying to get his Vonyage to work with his DTivos... He was given the New York number by the reps on the phone.

My only guess is either: The outbound connections for Vonage for that area are in the same switch station, or the modems on that particular bank are of a different type then those here... thus have either better error handling or are preset to work at a slower speed.

3. Jan 3, 2006 #3 of 11
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    1. The speculation is that the 212 number works because it is physically close to Vonage's operations center in New Jersey.

2. No idea.

3. No. The call to DirecTV is made to an 800 number you can't control, once a month. You may not get any indication that it works or not other than the ability to order PPV after a while.

4. The prefix you are using is primarily ,#019 - this tells the TiVo modem to slow down to 19.2kbps. *70 disables call waiting, and *99 puts some Vonage adapters in a "fax mode".

4. Jan 4, 2006 #4 of 11
    tambrose

tambrose New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I am having the same issues with my Vonage. I have tried to resolve on the phone last night and they suggested I buy the new R15 DVR which does not need to make a daily call. I have to disconnect my DVR nmanually as I am not on the unlimited plan and one month my DVR dialed out every day every few minutes and used up all my long distance for he month.
    Does anyone know about the new R15 DVR?

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 11
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The new R15 doesn't use the phone line the same way the DirecTivo does.

The only call it makes is the same as any standard DirecTV Reciver, to the DirecTV 800 number to update your PPV usage information.

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 11
    donivan

donivan New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    MD
    Tambrose,
    What worked for me was a variation of what ajay did. I have 2 DVR40's, they both connect over Vonage. Here is a link to a thread on the Vonage forum that discusses this in depth. Page 8 of that thread has a R10 success story. Search my other posts on this topic for more details.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 11
    richardeholder

richardeholder New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Utah
    I slapped on a $10 DSL filter from Radio Shack and Vonage was back in business.

8. hdlouie

hdlouie New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I just had my hr10-250 installed about two weeks ago and the tech that came out to installed it couldn't call out unless he put a filter in series with the phone line. Now I can call out at all because he took off his filter. What kid of filter is this and were can I purchase one? I don't have dsl and I disable call waiting. Is this dsl filter the thing he used?

Also does this receiver have incoming call display on the tv screen?

Thanks for any help.

Lou

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's a DSL filter. You can get one at Radio Shack. (Also called a Broadband Filter).

No, it does not have caller ID. (Though I think it can be enabled with a hack.)

10. hdlouie

hdlouie New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I was told by the tech that it does, but I would have to make the receiver call again and reset which I couldn't at the time he was there because I put my tv back in the entertainment center and he took off his filter. I told hime I'll try later. Oh well not a biggy. But how do you enable it if I could? PM me if that needs to be.'

Thanks again.

Lou

11. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I don't know the Caller-ID details - you have to install some program that runs on the TiVo which requires hacking it to allow such user software to run. Do a Google search for "deals tivo directivo hacking" and you'll find a forum where such things are discussed.