HR10-250 with out a phone line

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cardpetree, Jan 13, 2006.

1. cardpetree

cardpetree New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY

Advertisements

I've got one of these coming to be installed saturday but I don't have a phone line. If anyone has one with out a phone line please let me know how it works and if there is anything I should know. My dad is scaring me because he had an original Tivo box that he was using with the local digital cable box about 21/2-3yrs ago and he was telling me that a phone line has to be hooked up continuously or the tv schedule would not be downloaded to the Tivo. I told him that I don't think Directv's Tivo worked like that. A guy also told me that all I needed to do to setup my Tivo was take it to a friend's house with a phone line. Set it up once and ignore the nag (what's the nag?). He said all the friend needed was a phone line and a TV and of course my HR10-250. He said he didn't need Directv. Someone please confirm this and if there is any other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

2. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    You can set the receiver up using your friend's phone line and your account details. Then simply take the box home and use it. You won't be able to order PPV (which is best done online anyway) and you will get a "nag" screen reminding you that the unit has not made a call in xx days, which you can ignore. The TV schedule is downloaded from the satellite, unlike the SA TiVo, which has to get it over the phone line.

Also, remember that Search is your friend. There are many threads covering the subject in more detail, so try using the search near the top of the page.

Welcome to the forum and happy HD-ing!

3. Kevin L

Kevin L Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Gulf Cove, FL
    Your friend's right. You only need the phone line for initial setup. After 30 days you'll get a screen reminding you the HR10 hasn't dialed in for XXX number of days. Just clear the nag screen and you're good to go.

All guide data comes from the satellite. The only other reason you need a phone line is to order pay-per-view (which you can do at directv.com instead) and to trigger a software update, which are very rare. If there is an update that's needed, you can just hook it up to the phone line and let it dial in once and you're set.

Enjoy time-shifted HD!

4. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Why are you doubting me? If I wasn't correct, someone would have corrected me in the original thread. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=281534

-Robert

5. tedkunich

tedkunich New Member

Sep 9, 2005

Advertisements

Note, you will get the nag screen every day. After 120 days you would think this box would just give up trying to dial home... not going to happen, at least not in this house! ;)

6. Kevin L

Kevin L Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Gulf Cove, FL
    You would think the DVR would figure it out but it doesn't. It's not the nag screen that's so bad; it's clearing out the messages folder that really takes time.

7. cardpetree

cardpetree New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY

Not doubting you dude, as I said in my original post my dad was giving me different info after I had been on the message board talking to you.

My dad is scaring me because he had an original Tivo box that he was using with the local digital cable box about 21/2-3yrs ago and he was telling me that a phone line has to be hooked up continuously or the tv schedule would not be downloaded to the Tivo. I told him that I don't think Directv's Tivo worked like that.

8. Kevin L

Kevin L Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Gulf Cove, FL
    SA TiVos are quite different than the DirecTV versions. In some ways better; in other ways worse. Your dad's warnings don't apply to DirecTV TiVos.

9. Feb 4, 2006 #9 of 11
    dobb

dobb New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    i was just wondering if they can track your location of your box through your phone line? they think my satellite is in new york when its really in virginia. will i get busted if i hook in a phone line for the hd dvr?

10. rickmccamy

rickmccamy DNS Breaker

Jan 22, 2005
    walnut...
    Interesting question. I doubt humans ever see info on these calls, but the phone line is uneccessary. Yes, the first time each day that you check your now playing list there is a nag ( I'm up to 185 days without a call, please make the call now). It just checks off.
    I believe they charge more for pay for view through the remote than they do online, don't they?

11. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    No, D* charges the SAME either way.
    If you order via calling the automated 800#, it's a $1 more per event.
    If you order via a CSR, it's $5 more per event.

Now DISH OTOH, charges $1 more online than by remote. (you know, they want ALL those phone lines hooked up... :rolleyes: :mad: )