HR10-250 wireless multi-room viewing

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by newby1, Oct 28, 2005.

1. newby1

newby1 New Member

Feb 9, 2003

Advertisements

I am new to hacking my tivo and don't know & cant find any info on Multi room viewing of the hr10-250. I have two hr10s and would like to view each drive in both rooms, is this possible with a wireless connection? Is it possible with a wired connection?

I searched and searched but don't see any real info on the HR10-250. Now that all the SD models of DTivos are running 6.2 that seems to be everyones focus. Could someone point me in the right direction or just tell me its not possible.

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    not posible sorry :(

3. newby1

newby1 New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Is multi room viewing possible on any Dtivo? I also have a 40hr Hughs and an 80hr RCA.

4. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    yes
    look at the link to the zipper in my sig

5. newby1

newby1 New Member

Feb 9, 2003

Advertisements

I have read some of your "zipper" stuff. That is where I got the itch to multi room my HR10-250's. Could you explain why the newer software can be hacked for multi room but not the older version in HR10.

6. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    because the code for MRV EXISTS in 6.2 but not 3.x and 6.2 wont run on an HD Tivo.
    The zipper just turns on the code in 6.2 that DTV has disabled.

7. newby1

newby1 New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Gotcha.

8. newby1

newby1 New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    One more "STUPID QUESTION". Has anyone tried to load a 6.2 image on an HR10-250? Does it not have the correct "programming" to read the HD programming?

Forgive me I very new to this stuff.

9. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    the folks at the "other place" are working on it.

10. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    It does not indeed have the code for the HD stuff -- neither the streams nor the ATSC tuners nor...well, you get the idea.

11. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    So even if you COULD get 6.2 on the HR10, MRV still would not work very well.

First of all, you would have to do it with another HR10 as the SD-DTiVo's wouldn't know what to do with the HD video. Or, you would have to downconvert it which I doubt the HR10's slow processor could handle.

So if you did try to do MRV with two HR10's I can't imagine it being as useful as it is on the SD models. Even with USB 2.0 I don't think you could watch it real time. You'd likely have to start it, walk away for a few hours and go back. The HD video is up to 10 times larger than SD, so figure about 10 times slower! MRV is slow enough on wired networks and your wanting to do wireless!

I just don't think it's practical even with 6.2! They really would have to design a beefier box capable of downconverting the stream to SD before streaming it...

12. newby1

newby1 New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Basically its hopeless......

13. Eleo

Eleo New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    USB 2.0 is capable of 57MB/s (I mean megabytes not megabits). Based on the size of pirated HDTV episodes (a typical 30-min show totalling about 2.7GB) floating around the web, I think this would be adequate if one were doing USB->USB but it would otherwise take a pretty top of the line router to pull this off.

14. newby1

newby1 New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Right now I'm running an A/G wireless router. I know that the new routers are even faster. The SRX supports upto 108mbs. So this would cover all of the USB's 57 mbs. But would you truely get HD contentent through such a small "pipe"??

15. Eleo

Eleo New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    If you're talking about megabits, it's USB's 480 to a router's typical 108. If you're talking about megabytes, it's something like 60 to 13. A byte is equal to 8 bits.

The only way I could think MRV with HD content would be possible is USB to USB. But like I said above, based on the average size of HD content, the bandwidth of USB 2.0 would be just barely adequate, and I think because of this it won't work, most likely because of various overhead. Firewire 400, which - according to specifications - is slower than USB 2.0, actually transfers data faster than USB 2.0, so I don't even think USB 2.0 can achieve the bandwidth it's supposedly capable of. Then there's the question of whether or not there are commercially available routers that can handle 480 megabits per second, I don't know.

From wikipedia:
    Firewire would thus be able to transfer a few hundred megabytes per second; more than enough for HD content to be shared. But, nope. No firewire.

16. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Forgive me for butting in here, but I have benchmarked the MRV performance of my 4 DirecTiVos pretty carefully. I have two hardwired and two wireless (through bridges) TiVos. The 2 wired units can exchange content via MRV at about 11 to 13 Mbits/second. That is just fast enough (given DirecTV's compression of HD) to transfer a program in realtime.

BTW, the limiting factor is not the network, or USB, or the USB/ethernet adapter, but the processing speed of the TiVos.

17. Eleo

Eleo New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Now that I think about it, I was totally wrong. My math was way off.

So MRV is impossible because of the processing speed?

18. tsunami

tsunami New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    New Boston, NH
    All I want is folders on my HR10-250

19. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Doesn't seem likely anytime real soon. But, I suppose, you never know.

Myself, I would like MRV on the HR10-250 just so I could pull stuff from SD DTivos in other rooms. From those who have tried to Do That Which We Are Not Allowed To Discuss onto the HR10-250, I understand that it does not work well in any case. In other words, the HR10-250 doesn't seem to understand/like the SD videos. Perhaps if it was done using actual MRV it might be OK; I have no idea.

20. bworrell

bworrell Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bummer... I just realized after getting my HR10-250 that I can't do some of the 6.2 stuff. The zipper still worked great and I ran the hack script.

Can someone please lead me to how to install wireless on my HR10-250? Wired works great.