HR10-250 Video dropout with 720p

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Ieolus, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Ieolus

Ieolus New Member

Oct 20, 2006

Advertisements

Hi,

I just got an HR10-250 the other day and I'm not familiar with its workings yet. I received the 6.3a update a couple minutes after hooking it up to the phone line.

Anyway, the details:
    When I'm tuned into one of the HD channels (seen it on HBOH, TNTH, etc) and the HR10 is set to 720p, every now and then the video will drop out but audio will still be heard. It takes a couple seconds for the video to come back, but it is so annoying.. makes recordings and live tv almost unwatchable because it can happen any time.

Has anyone else seen this and is there a fix? Btw, if I set the HR10 to 480i or 480p I have not seen one of these video drop outs, even on the HD channels. If I am tuned to an HD channel and the box is set to 480p, is the picture degraded? Personally I couldn't see a difference, but maybe I just suck at detecting it...

Thanks!

Edit: Video drop outs happen on 1080i also, just wanted to mention that. Oh, and my tv is a 720p model (Samsung HLR-6167).

2. duanej

duanej New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    We all see these types of drop outs in the HD that comes over the Sat. Some days are worse than others, although I have to admit that I haven't seen one in quite some time. This is happening on the transmission end. There is nothing you can do to solve it.

3. Ieolus

Ieolus New Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Well, thanks for the quick reply. Not sure I like the answer, though that isn't your fault. ;)

Edit: Btw, how come I only see this when the HR10 is set to 720p mode? I just tried setting the HR10 to 720p while tuned to an SD channel and it happens there too... sounds more like a receiver upconvert issue than a transmission issue, no?

4. duanej

duanej New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Hard to say. I've seen the dropouts in both 720p and 1080i, but never on the SD channels.

5. DiwreckTv

DiwreckTv New Member

Nov 2, 2006

Advertisements

I predict more than just drop outs in your future. The crytal ball is going ... black. I see black, lots of black.

I believe you are experiencing a software problem. Just for grins I write down you entire system version number now.

6. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Is there any pixellation just ahead of or just after the dropout? If not, the MPEG decoding is less likely at fault, which would also probably rule out reception and HDD issues. This could be a HDMI handshake issue or other display compatibility issue.