HR10-250: Still on 3.1.5f?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JohnDG, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 19
    JohnDG

JohnDG Member

Oct 28, 2004

Advertisements

Simple enough: are you still on 3.1.5f?

After seeming some of the initial problem reports on 6.3x, I pulled the phone cord last year. I'm performing a "Clear and Delete To Do and Wishlist" every 8 months or so to keep the speed of list management reasonable.

jdg

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 19
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    kept 2nd machine on it after all the fox dropouts. Had to move all my fox SP to the 3.1 machine..i think 342 days no phone line.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 19
    KSbugeater

KSbugeater Moved on to HR2x

Jan 26, 2006
    Royals country
    400+ days with no calls. I haven't seen a big enough reason to upgrade... but remote booking might be it.

I remember waiting anxiously for 6.x for the HR10, but like you, after hearing the problems (esp. with HD failures) I stopped being anxious.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 19
    bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I originally let one of my HR10-250s upgrade to 6.3a. I had audio dropouts so I restored 3.1.5f. When the fix for the audio problems was released (I think it was 6.3b) I let it upgrade again. That version had re-boot problems and short recordings, so I once again restored 3.1.5f.

I let it upgrade to 6.3d shortly after it came out and ran for a couple of months with no problems so I let my other HR10-250 also upgrade. Since I have the phone lines plugged in both units have now upgraded to 6.3e.

I have had no problems with either 6.3d or 6.3e on either HR10-250 and I sure like the faster speed.

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 19
    dougfetter

dougfetter New Member

May 14, 2006

Advertisements

Bpratt, in your upgrades to 6.3d or 6.3e, did you have to do a Clear & Delete Everthing in order to stablize the database, or do you have old recordings that are still able to be viewed? My HR10-250 is still at 3.1.5f but with maybe 40 hours of recordings, and I was wondering if the time was right to plugin the phone line.

6. Sep 5, 2007 #6 of 19
    bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Before I plugged in my phone line and allowed the upgrade to 6.3d, I had deleted almost all recordings. On one system I had 2 hours and 4 hours on the other. With 3.1.5f I use to do a clear and delete everything every 6 or 8 months just to keep the response time good, but I did not do one before the upgrade.

7. Sep 7, 2007 #7 of 19
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Let me try to re-ask the question. Is it enough to C&D the WLs and TDL, or is it necessary to C&D everything, including the recordings to get things in reasonable order? What if you just manually removed all WLs and SPs?

I'm not so much worried about the recordings as I am about how C&D everything is generally considered an invasive last resort and therefore has a reputation for killing HDDs (probably undeserved). My routine has been to just wipe the SPs and WLs manually, and reset thumbs. 3 years running, so far, so good. But possibly that is not enough.

The only thing I know for sure is that 3.1 will remain on my 3 HR10s, probably forever. It is pretty conclusive that 6.x is inherently flawed, while 3.1 isn't. They've had b, c, d, and e, four chances now to fix it, and just can't. F through z couldn't be much better.

8. Sep 8, 2007 #8 of 19
    bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I ran on 6.3, 6.3a and 6.3b and I agree they were all flawed. I restored both of my HR10-250 to 3.1.5f until 6.3d was released so I never ran on 6.3c. I disagree that 6.3d or e are flawed. I have been running those releases for several months with no problems on either unit.

3.1.5f had a database problem that would cause the HR10-250 to slow down over time. A clear and delete everything every 6 to 8 months would fix the slow down problem for me. I never tried doing a partial clear and delete, so I don't know if that would also fix the problem.

Part of the upgrade to 6.3 did a conversion of the 3.1 database to the new 6.3 database format. One of the reasons this new database was created by TiVo was to fix the slow down problems on version 3.1. I believe the conversion process between the 3.1 database and the 6.3 database format is somewhat flawed and most of the reported problems with 6.3d or e are because of a bad database conversion. A clear and delete everything before allowing the upgrade should solve most of those problems.

After one of my units upgraded to 6.3b, it started re-booting several times a day. I restore 3.1.5f, did a clear and delete everything and let it upgrade again. The re-boots went away, however I had audio dropout problems so I restored 3.1.5f and ran on it until 6.3d was released.

9. Sep 9, 2007 #9 of 19
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I did a CD on WL and SP and the 3.1 machine got noticeably better.

I never did a complete one so cant help you there.

oh and it's a good idea to manually delete all WL and SP before you do it..I've heard it takes less time

10. drewba

drewba New Member

Nov 25, 2000
    Renton, WA
    I was on 3.1.5 (no f) until last week when the general slowness of the machine finally became too much bear. I let it upgrade to 6.3e and haven't seen any issues yet. I do enjoy the improved speed and grouping in Now Playing.

11. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Is it me or are there a lot of problems with 6.3e and the standard tivo. Looks like the standard def folks are now experiencing lockups and stuttering with 6.3e. Must be part 2 of the conspiracy to get everyone moved off of Tivo.

12. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I have had the opposite experience. The e version seems to have bolloxed my receiver.

13. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    6.x literally drove me to the Series 3....

14. Idahoguy

Idahoguy New Member

May 1, 2004
    I'm still running 3.1.5e.
    If I force a call over at the neighbor's house and update it, will it speed this thing up?
    It is RIDICULOUSLY slow sometimes.

15. tucsonbill

tucsonbill Member formerly known as cranky

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    I have been on 6.3b since it came with no issues. I had no problems with 3.1.5.f except that my wife wants to use the grid guide and records a show that she keeps ALL episodes of. Folders and guide speed were critical needs.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    oh definitely speed up. I have 6.x and 3.1 running side by side. BUT.....

things I like

6 machine is faster, records things more quickly even when on 2 HD stations, folders.

things i dont

6.x machine for some reason flips back on the to do list...in other words, you may be scrolling a few days ahead then it resets back to page one or literally locks up and you can't move at all. This is a huge headache for my wife as she has tons of SP and needs to monitor things and look ahead a lot.

6.3e, i've gotten 2 random reboots but that's not enough to make me worry. But still, i'd look for the threads about 'modifying the SP' and other 6.x threads to see what problems people are having. 6.3 (a or b?) had major problems with fox for me but that's been resolved with updates

overall, i'd still have upgraded my one machine even knowing all i know would go wrong today. However, had i not had a 3.1 machine to put my fox programs on back then, i wouldnt have done it.

have you tried a C/D just for WL and SP?

17. jgjackson

jgjackson New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    I'm still on 3.1.5f. I'm still afraid of the full-disk not deleting the right program problem (I don't see the point of having Tivo if you don't have suggestions turned on), although I have seen one person claim that problem was fixed in 6.3e.

18. keviesten

keviesten New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    I was on 3.1.5 (no f) until last week when the general slowness of the machine finally became too much bear. I let it upgrade to 6.3e and haven't seen any issues yet. I do enjoy the improved speed and grouping in Now Playing.

19. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    i'm still on 3.1.5e about 930+ days. it was having random reboot problems and slowing down (please wait was going like 5 minites) so I did a clear and delete (kept recordings) a couple months ago and that helped alot.