hr10-250 Single Drive Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by OOOOPS!, Jan 26, 2006.

1. OOOOPS!

OOOOPS! New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Hi
    I'm tring to upgrade my hr10-250, but I'm a bit confused about what prodecure to use.
    Option 1:
    dd to new drive and keep /4 it's original size, for any future, if any, upgrades, and then expand using -r4 with mfsadd.

Option 2:
    mfsbackup-mfsrestore and have the proper swap size, but have a 128mb /4 instead of 256mb.

What would you recommend?

Can i use pdisk after a dd to increase the swap size then tpip to initialize it or use pdisk to increase /4 after a restore. As you might've guessed, I can use pdisk, but am not quite sure exactly what it does.

Thanks,
    OOOOPS!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Why not just use the free MFS Tools CD and follow the step-by-step procedure in Weaknees' post at the top of this forum?

3. OOOOPS!

OOOOPS! New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I ASSume you are talking about WeaKnees Interactive Online TiVo Upgrade Instructions I did go to Interactive TiVo Upgrade Instructions
    The instructions
    Code:
    mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdZ
    address neither the large swap required nor increasing the alternate partitions decreased size.
    It works, but will I be ok for future software updates or GSOD's. From what I have read here I will definitely need more swap size if the tivo GSOD's. I'm not in front of the tivo or I could do a df and see the space used on the active partition is over 128mb's.

Thanks,
    OOOOPS!

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It does address them. -s sets the swap, -r4 expands the block size.

Future upgrades, if any, will occur with no problem.