HR10-250 screwed up recording then rebooted

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tazzmission, Jan 31, 2005.

1. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...

Advertisements

I was watching Fear Factor this evening from a recording but the live show was still on. Anyway, at about 3/4 into the show my picture froze and the TiVo went back to the now playing list showing of Fear Factor. I selected resume playing and it just kept going back to the same screen. (resume playing). I then just hit Live TV, and rewound back to where it froze and all was back to normal. I just thoght it was a fluke. Then all of a sudden my TiVo reboted itself. It has been fine since (a few hours now) but I wanted to see if anyone else was having an issue like this here.

2. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Mine is supposed to record WWE RAW at 9 and 24 as well. It was recording 24 but not RAW. I looked in the todo list and it showed RAW as recording but it really wasn't. So I checked "continue recording this program" and then it actually started recording RAW. Weird!

3. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I watched Raw after the reboot. I TiVo that too. I would still like to know what is going on with my box though.

4. steady teddy

steady teddy New Member

May 15, 2004
    Macomb, Mi.
    I know this is an old thread but I had a similar problem happen to me last night while recording George Lopez except my Tivo just stopped recording altogether and then went back the Now Playing menu. The Tivo did not reboot. I just went back to watching live TV and missed a few minutes of the show.

This has nothing to do with the satellite since the show was recorded off my OTA antenna. This doesn't happen a lot (maybe 4 times over the last 10 months) but since it just happened yesterday, I assume the latest software update doesn't address this issue.

Has anyone else had a similar problem recently?

5. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago

Advertisements

This happened to me Wednesday night, tivo was recording Law & Order OTA, then about 5 minutes into the show it rebooted. I noticed the record light wasn't on, so I flipped over to it, and saw it rebooting. It was fine after that.
    I had recorded "Making of the Sopranos" on HBO earlier in the evening on HBO HD, and it was unwatchable, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but that was about 2 hours earlier.

6. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I can tell you this much: I recorded the "Making...Sopranos" thing at that time also, and had no issue with it, so it wasn't the source.

Other than the source, there are a few possibilities. Something either gets corrupted in the OS as loaded (reboot fixes it) or in the image (reboot will not permanently fix it, reimaging the drive is usually necessary, or downloading a new version, assuming there is one available). Also, there can be a cataloging issue with what is on the HDD vs. what the DB thinks is on the drive, and it reboots spontaneously until the clip is deleted or automatically is deleted (a "Clear and Delete" should eliminate all cataloging discrepancies, by eliminating the DB and the content).The other problem is that the HDD might be developing bad sectors, which will make it incrementally less reliable over time. A reformat can sector out the bad stuff, but will not prevent new bad sectors if there is a media problem.

If you are having regular spontaneous reboots, I would try a "Clear and Delete" first, which can take 3 days or more. The next step is to reimage the drive, next is to reformat the drive, and lastly to replace the drive, which is pretty much how you tackle HDD problems on a PC as well.