HR10-250 Sat A, B and C Help Needed

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by restino, Aug 23, 2007.

1. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    I sold a HR10-250 to someone and he says that he can only get 2 out of the 3 sat signals.

I tried setting my HR10-250 up for 3 LND. Guess I have a 3-LNB dish here at the hoouse. I never never even tried to set up the unit from the start by selecting 3 LNB. I tried doing that now on my system and it finds a 3rd sat (C) on Sat 1 but nothing on Sat 2. I don't have or use High Def however.

Can someone help me understand a few things:

1 - On Sat C Sat 1 i get #8 I get 47 and nothing on sat 2 at all. And nothing for Sat 10 or 12 settings. Is this normal?

2 - what is each of the 3 (A, B and C) sats for? - At this point I'm assuming that he can't see Sat C.

3 - if he is only seeing 2 out of 3 then what does that probably mean?

4 - KEY QUESTION HERE: given that he sees 2 out of 3 sats, could it be a broken HR10-250 unit somehow? if so then is there someway to test it to verify that it truely is the HR10-250 that is broken and not his settings, dish, multiswitch, cables, etc that are bad instead?

5 - if it is a broken HR10-250 unit for this problem then can it be fixed by someone? if not then what can the unit be used for?

6 - for the typical fixes for this type of problem, assuming he does have a 3 LNB dish, then what does he have to do to get the 3rd sat to show up?

all you help is appreciated!

2. generalpatton71

generalpatton71 Open,Flash and clear

Oct 30, 2002
    Classified
    I'd say it's one of these things.

A) The guy doesn't have a 3lnb dish

B) During guided set up he messed up and selected a one 2lnb set up

C) The moron is using a splitter or something instead of a multiswitch or one of the other sat outputs from the dish.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Back to basics. That receiver can receive signals from three different satellites on two tuners (the SAT inputs). They are located at 101, 110, and 119 degrees west longitude. These are referred to as Sat A, Sat C and Sat B respectively. This requires the the 3 LNB dish. And the receiver has to be set up to use all three sats. Each satellite has transponders (TP) that broadcast a bunch of channels. On the 101 satellite there are 32 TPs, the 110 has 3 (8, 10, 12) and 119 has 11 (22-32).

It seems that you never used this unit for the 110 and 119 satellites, so you aren't sure if it ever worked with the other sats. You aren't sure if you have the 3 LNB either.

Now to the problem. I'll have to say that if the receiver you sold works with the 101 satellite, then it will work with the other sats when set up for them. The person has to have a 3 LNB dish and the receiver has to be set up for multiple sat operation. And that dish has to be aimed correctly (which requires a line of sight to the satellite locations). To verify satellite reception you can tune to channels 490 through 494.

4. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Thanks to everyone who replied and JimSpence private messages!

You guys are truely experts unlike most forums. Just amazing at the knowledge level here and great help.

Thanks to this forum and you all!

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    So what the solution?

6. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    It had to be something in his setup but he did not tell me, He just said that the installers made some modifications and it now appears to be working. I didn't push him for more, I was just glad he figured it out thanks to you guys.

Of course, it was probably just what you guys stated.