HR10-250 -> HR20

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rbro, Nov 24, 2006.

1. rbro

rbro New Member

Mar 19, 2004

Advertisements

Well I've been on the waiting list and I finally got the robocall that we can now place an order for an HR20 (DirecTV PLUS HD DVR). As an avid Tivo lover, I've been kind of dreading this day, but as someone who can't get HD locals with an antenna, I've also been looking forward to it. Questions for those of you who have already made this switch:

1. Is there an upgrade fee? How much?

2. How long did it take for you to receive yours from the time you placed an order?

3.What features does the HR20 have that the HR10-250 doesn't and vice-versa?

4.How much of an "issue" is it for you NOT having TIVO anymore and having this DVR instead?

5. Does it make more sense to just hold on for dear life to the Tivo HD DVR we have now or should we just bite the bullet and go for the HR20 while we can?

Thanks for your help! :)

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    1) Dependent on your history with DirecTV... Anywhere from $0 to $299. Most are at the $99 oint

2) Dependent on the area you are at, the stock at the installers, and the installers scheduled

3) See www.dbstalk.com for a lot of the details. Biggest ones: HR20 has MPEG4 and Interactive Features; HR10 has dual buffers and for now OTA (even though the HR20 should have OTA very soon)

4) You will see varying "results" based on which forum you read, and it really is dependent on the user...

5) Again, depends on your usage. If you want access to the "locals" in HD and you can't get them via OTA..... plus, you shouldn't have to get "rid" of your HR10... you can usually just add your HR20 to your setup.

For a LOT more discussion and details about the HR20 see www.dbstalk.com
    Since it is NOT a TiVo, and the moderators/admins had requested it discussion be taken there.

3. nachosgrande

nachosgrande New Member

Oct 12, 2006
    New York
    With MPEG4, are only HD locals affected on the HR-10? Will I be able to view any NEW HD channels when they come out?

4. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    HD Locals and Local RSN are right now in MPEG-4.
    It is expeted that all NEW HD channels will be launched only in MPEG-4

And eventually ALL SAT based HD channels, are going to be converted to MPEG-4. Most probable by the end of 2007, but there has been no definitive date announced.

5. rbro

rbro New Member

Mar 19, 2004

Advertisements

How could I incorporate both? Also, I thought the HR10 was "leased" ( I essentially got it for free after reading a thread on this forum), so wouldn't the installer take back the HR10 after installing the HR20?

6. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    If you have a 2nd input on your TV, or some method to switch between component/HDMI inputs, you can have multiple DVR's on the same TV (I have three on my main TV).

As for if you have to give it back or not... that all depends (again), on your history with DirecTV and the deal they setup with you when you order your unit.

More often then not , you can keep your HR10

7. rbro

rbro New Member

Mar 19, 2004
    Thanks for all your help. So how "big a deal" was it to NOT have Tivo anymore?

8. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    For the first month (when I had the R15), it was a "big deal"... as it took a while to get used to the new interface... after that.... not that big of a deal (to me at least).

9. skasselea

skasselea New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Unfortunately, I had no choice. Given that I have very large trees behind my house, I cannot use an off air antenna to get local HD channels. I tried and it simply wasn't possible. The signal strength was nil.

Therefore, I had no choice but to get the HR20-700 which was installed a couple days ago. Giving up the HR10-250 was not what I wanted to do, but not having the local San Francisco/San Jose channels in HD simply doesn't make much sense.

However, there appears to be a major problem with the HR20-700.

One of the absolutely finest features of TiVo is the ability to pause a live program, switch tuners and come back to that live program in the same spot you were at previously. That has been a feature for years in all the TiVo products. Unbelievably, that does not appear to be a feature in the HR20-700. How DirecTV could not include that vital feature is unbelievable. I hope it's just me and somehow I haven't figured how to use it. Please tell me it's there and I'm an idiot. Otherwise, DirecTV has their heads so far up their.........well, you can figure out my point without me finishing the thought.

10. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    You are not doing anything wrong.
    There is only one live buffer in the DVR+ series (R15 and HR20).

11. skasselea

skasselea New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    That just proves that TiVo is a better product. Thanks for the info.

12. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    It just proves that is a better product for you...

I can say HR20 with MPEG-4, Interactive, external expansion, built in RF with RF remote, on screen menus (instead of full screen menus), one line guide... single button records, space indicator, on screen caller-id, PPV Record then purchase...

Makes the HR20 a better product...... at least for me.

13. Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Just two questions?

1. Are you still a Tivo Junkie as listed by your posting picture?
    2. Why even post here at the TivoCommunity when you gotten "used to" the HR20 and seem to think it has a rich feature set.

My goal as been to help DirecTV see the light and at least offer an upgrade (at additional cost) to the HR20 that has the Tivo interface. I've about given up. Sometime after the first of the year I will be moving to cable when the S3 gets the same feature set as the Series 2 and there is the expected price drop.

Thing is - I really did want to stay with DirecTV. Oh well.

Bonanza

14. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    1) I still think TiVo is a good product... My mother has an SA, and is about to get a 2nd one as a Christmas gift.... My brother in-law has Dish Network, and thus he also has my old S1 SA, and my sister can't get a SAT signal... thus she has a S2-DT...

Plus a good number of my neighboors have the DTivos which I helped them get, so I still help them out when they have issues... and need upgrades, ect...

So yes... To a degree, I am still a TiVo junkie.

2) Why not? People have question, and hopefully I can provide the answers.... And I do still have an Active TiVo in my house. And I am about to take my HR10-250 and install it at my brothers house.

Good luck with your choices in the new year.

15. davsherm

davsherm Active Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Tampa
    +1 I like the feature set of the HR20 better than the HR10. I couldn't wait for the day I no longer needed OTA, it has been extremely problematic for me. I would take the tradeoff of the dual buffers to the space indicator, one touch record/SL and hdd expansion port anyday! I can't tell you how many programs I missed by running out of space on the HR10. I don't think DTv needs to "see the light", I like their interface better than Tivo right now.

16. Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I guess I see this as war. You are either with Tivo or against. Posting at TivoCommunity about the HR15/20 feature set is like having a fox in the chicken coop. The outrage is that DirecTV is unwilling to supply Tivo with their codec to allow Tivo to make an S3 DirecTV capable. Why has DirecTV been allowed to get away with this? Yes, it's a business decision and DirecTV's choice, but I don't like it. DirecTV is letting at least one customer slip through their hands. I suspect a few more are leaving too.

While I am letting it all out.....I want the neck of Tom Rogers. Why hasn't Tivo released an S3 that supports programming from an HDMI source even if the Tivo DVR has to use an IR cable to swap channels. WHY?

Ebonovic - Thanks for all the technical help you can provide us here at TivoCommunity, but we just aren't interested in the HR15/20 for our own reasons. I look forward to your post at the dbstalk.com site - which I read to keep up to date on the R15/20 interface progress.

Bonanza

It's not a Tivo unless it's a Tivo.

17. Paperboy2003

Paperboy2003 Wasting time here

Mar 30, 2004
    Randolph,...
    Do we have an update as to when they'll reprogram the Hr20 to have dual buffers? I thought I remembered that this was discussed back when it first came out. Is this still something they're discussing / working on?

18. stinkey turner

stinkey turner New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Newbie here trying to get up to speed or suggestions on what routre to take if
    I want to upgrade to HDTV. I did browse the FAQ's and sticky's, but was not really able to find a direct answer to my scenario.

I currently have a Standard Series 1 Tivo that we love and want to keep. The idea is to move it to another room once we get an HD Tivo. DTV charges a monthy $5 charge for this box. If I was forced to swap to non Tivo, I would still have to pay this to work my old Tivo, right?

From what I am reading, DirecTV is offering a new H20 that is NOT a Tivo interface PVR and from what I am reading here, it seems like it is a POS?

I've seen some good deals on the Direct TV Tivo for HDTV at places like Best Buy, etc. DirecTV wants to charge me ~$300 to lease and I've been a cusomter for about 7 years! From what I read, that might be excessive for long term customers?

I guess my question is; will Direct Tv continue to support the HD Tivo box?
    If so, how much can I expect to pay for one?

Also, does anyone know anything about these coupons one can buy on eBay that allows an HR20-700 for as little as $29?
    Thanks for any help!

19. Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA

Lighten up, Francis! We're all in this together. One of these HR20 posters may save your TiVo one of these days, you understand that?

20. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Last time I checked... I didn't start the thread.
    I answered the questions, and re-directed the users for more information at the "other" site.

As for a unit that accepts and HDMI input, for recording purposes...
    That is a LONG LONG LONG time away from ever happening.. TiVo or other wise.