hr10-250 hd Directtv Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by harwere, Sep 2, 2007.

1. harwere

harwere New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    I love my hd directtv tivo which I have had for a year or so, but a last week and again this week, it had dropped the 2nd receiver, i.e., searching for sat 2. I traced all the wires and isolated the issue to the 2nd receiver input. I tried rebooting and several other things but nothing seemed to work. I got frustrated and unplugged the unit overnight. The next day, the unit worked correctly again? It worked for about a week and then did it again. I again had to unplug the unit for several hours before it started working correctly again.

What's going on here? Can anyone tell me what is causing this issue and how to fix it permanently? I already have a DirectTV non TIVO unit that I hate due to the user interface and the lack of capabilities that my TIVO unit offers.

Please help!

Thank you very much, I appreciate any help or advice anyone has on addressing my issue.

Rich :p

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If the problem is indeed the receiver, the only way to "fix" it is to replace the box. Did you swap cables connected to the box and see that the problem changed tuners?

You can probably find HR10-250s on eBay for not outrageous prices if you indeed want to replace the box. But be aware that the usefulness of the HR10 for HD satellite content will become limited over the next year. Since you have a non-TiVo box, perhaps you're covered on that (if the other box is the HR20.)

3. harwere

harwere New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Thanks. I did check the other tuner and the wiring. It appears to be limited to only the 2nd dtv receiver. I really like the TIVo interface and will probably end up keeping it, if only to record the over the air HDTV channels.

Rich

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You can repeat the "Satellite Guided Setup" and specify that only Sat1 tuner is connected. Then your Tivo won't try to use the defective Sat2 input.

5. harwere

harwere New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Thank you. That is what I will probably have to do. It sounds like in 2008, I am going to have to purchase another of those dreaded DTV HD DVR units in order to receive mpeg 4 HD content. Oh Joy! I really hate the interface on the DTV unit and it doesn't have the great features of the TIVO DTV Unit.

Richard

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You'll adapt. Many of us have. And you'll find that the HR20 has some nice features that even our beloved Tivo's can't match.

7. Pintail54

Pintail54 New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    I have the exact same problems with my hr10-250. If you buy another one, you'll end up with the issues. I know. I've been through three of them. Suggestions: 1. Unplug your s-video that is connected to other devices 2. Clear and Delete the "Thumb ratings" and "program suggestions". It sounds ridiculous but it has worked for me thus far.