HR10-250 HD died

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DinoT, Jul 25, 2007.

1. DinoT

DinoT New Member

May 3, 2000
    Columbia,...
    Hi all,
    I just want to toss something off of you folks. One of my HR10-250's had a HD die. I have the protection plan and I just received a replacement HR20. I didn't receive a return shipping label. I called DTV and they said since the HR10-250 was owned by me, it is mine to keep. I've had DTV tell me not to return a receiver before only to get charged. Is this what you folks are seeing? I ask because I might just get the HD replaced and keep it on another TV.

Thanks,
    Dino

2. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    I would do that.

DirecTV frequenty will try to overcharge you, and there are probably no other company's bills that have to be scrutinized so closely on an ongoing basis. But not so much this specific situation, and CSR roulette will get it fixed eventually, if they do.

3. DinoT

DinoT New Member

May 3, 2000
    Columbia,...
    Sorry to waste people's time, but I just realized how pricey the replacement drives are. Seems pointless to spend close to what DTV charges for a new (although leased) HR20. (Although I really dislike the HR20).

Dino

4. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    How big a drive are you looking at? I have done this upgrade/replacement for a lot of our local community; I think I paid $89 for the last 500GB drive I bought.

5. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    They are cheap. Any PATA drive will do. I quick scan of Frys shows a Seagate 250GB drive for $50 and a 300GB drive for $60.

6. DinoT

DinoT New Member

May 3, 2000
    Columbia,...
    I was being lazy. I was looking to buy a ready to go drive. I've added second drives before but haven't added a primary drive. I figured it would take a lot of reading to get caught up. I guess that I can read up over on the underground and do it myself. I am just so busy now (work and expecting a baby). I hate the HR20 enough to take time out of my schedule to do so.

Thanks,
    Dino