HR10-250 Hard drive replacemnet

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by evilklown, Nov 29, 2006.

1. evilklown

evilklown New Member

Jun 14, 2005

Advertisements

I think my drive may be going bad, it is about 1 1/2 years old.@ questions,one is that it skips or has sound blips on some recordings,(3/4 of the drive is filled up).second question, is it worth it for someone to install a new drive and about how much.It doesnt have to be huge in size

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Pull the drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostic software on it in your PC. If it fails you can either replace the drive or try running SpinRite on it to see if that will fix it. The cost of a new drive will probably be less than the software so you decide which is best. There are lots of tutorials posted about backing up and restoring an image to a new drive so there's no reason to pay someone else for the privilege. It's not a difficult process and the learning curve is minimal at best. If you don't have a good backup image of the drive then look to PtvUpgrade and download the InstantCake image for your drive for $20. The restore process is automated and ridiculously simple.

3. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Don't know anything about symptoms of a drive going bad, but Cost is According to pricewatch.com you can get a 10GB (OK you really can't use practically use it in an HR10-250) eide drive for $16.47 or $62.00 for a 250GB up to $162.99 for a 500GB and $345.00 for a 750GB drive. If you can copy and expand an image of your current drive there is no additional cost or if you get an InstantCake image it will cost $20 more.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Not only is it impractical but it won't work unless you've developed a minimal image to restore to the drive (not a task for the inexperienced). Any drive used to restore a backup image must be at least the same size as the original drive the image was derived from or you won't be able to restore the image due to lack of space.

5. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida

Advertisements

My point was tivo uses standard ide drives, I suppose actually you could use a 10 GB drive if you wanted to do a 2 drive setup, but why bother, a 250GB drive only costs $62 and twice that for only $100 more.