HR10-250 for standard defenition only.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by carguy238, Jul 18, 2009.

1. carguy238

carguy238 New Member

Oct 26, 2007

Advertisements

The hard drive on my old Phillips DSR6000 is making a lot of noise and I fear it is on it's way out. I have several HR10-250's laying around. Could I just request that one be reactivated and use it for standard definition only. Will I receive all the standard definition channels. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. guptasa1

guptasa1 New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I *think* so. I still have an HR10-250 and it works fine for SD. In fact, still picks up a little bit of HD, but it's getting less and less (so I'm just transitioning to cable now). But I don't know what kind of dish, etc., you have, so that may be a factor.

3. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Should be fine, I was using one for SD for quite a while before I retired it.

4. Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    Just be sure you don't get hit with the HD fee, or a commitment.

5. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...

Advertisements

Yes, it will pick up SD from D* and a few HD channels too. It also will pick up OTA HD. The only issue I have is that it is quite a bit slower setting up recordings than my SD Tivo.

6. carguy238

carguy238 New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks for the help, guys.

7. markis

markis Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Yes, I'm still using mine for all the SD channels and OTA HDTV.

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    If you own the DVR there's no commitment. Since DirecTV no longer transmits HD in mpeg2 there should not be an HD access fee levied, although they may argue that you still can record HD from OTA sources and stick it to you anyway.

9. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    ???

10. tucsonbill

tucsonbill Member formerly known as cranky

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    Huh? I owned every box I had till I got the HR21 last year. Everyone of them carried a commitment when activated. First one was 90 days, Last HR10 was two years. i've never worried much about it, since I'm unlikely to decide to switch tommorrow with the money I've already got invested in D* equipment. WRT the HD fee, I don't think there's any requirement to buy HD from D* simply because you have equipment that can receive it (although very little for this box). Best I recall, after I activated the firs HR10 I had to specifically order the HD service. OTOH, as many have said the answers seem to change day to day, and CSR to CSR.

11. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Yes there is. I'm not sure about the HR10-250 (because it is such an old box) but any of the newer DirecTV DVR's/receivers come with the $10 HD package added to your bill period. No way around it.

12. NoCalME

NoCalME New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Unfortunately DirecTV automatically charges customers the $10/mo. HD fee whenever HD capable equipment is activated. I activated an HR10-250 so I could record HD OTA locals a while back and was charged the HD fee even though I only had the old 18" dish and two other SD DVRs. To paraphrase DirecTV's response when I questioned being charged for something I didn't have the equipment(SlimLine dish) to receive, they stated it was my responsibility to have the proper equipment and they would provide a SlimLine dish for free. I ended up getting a good deal to upgrade my equipment to HD, but I still thought it was goofy to be charged for something that was not accessible using my old equipment.

13. NoCalME

NoCalME New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Can you tell me the DirecTV HD channels the HR10-250 is capable of receiving. I was under the impression they had all been moved to MPEG-4.

14. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Any channel numbers from 70-79. Off the top of my head this includes HBO, ESPN, ESPN2, HD Theatre, TNT and HDNet.

15. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    When I activated my HR10-250, I got hit with the $10 fee. I called DirecTV and told them I didn't get any HD programming and that I didn't even have a high-def TV in the house and they waived it. Same for my dad.

16. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You'll receive all SD channels that are transmitted from the 101 satellite (and 110/119 if you have the 3-LNB dish, though I don't think 110 is being used for much now.) An exception is local channels in some markets that had in the past required a second dish.

17. motaman

motaman New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    I just updated my receivers from 2 250's :( to 2 HR22's. I'll assume I can reactivate one of the 250's to put in the bedroom. I just want to have the folder options this receiver offered. My bedroom TV is SD with HD capabilities so not being able to see HD programming on this TV is a non-issue. Will I be charged or signed up for a commitment of any kind? I still have the techs coming out to check on my setup because HD programming is sporadic with most channels not visible. The reason I mention any commitment is because my whole upgrade was at the expense of DTV and with no commitment so if i get a bug up my behind I can cancel at any time. I don't want to use my get out of jail free card because of adding this older equipment. If my issues don't get remedied this will all be a non-issue. I had my older hd receivers and my circa 2001 SAT-T60 running for 6 years currently so I know that my cabling is up to spec. I did see that it was mentioned on this thread that if the multi-switch is not WB enabled I may have issues. Is that correct? I'll get on a latter later this morning and check the model on the switch. Thanks to all.