HR10-250 Component Outputs

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Stephen M. Smith, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Marina del...
    I'm about to upgrade my HDVR2 to a HR10-250. I have a CRT RPTV w/only component inputs (no HDMI).

I woke up in a cold sweat in the middle of last night with these 2 questions:

1) Does the component output of HR10-250 output a full resolution? I recall reading about studios wanting everyone including DirecTv to down-rez all HD content on analog outputs such as component out.

2) Does the HR10-250 output SD channels as well as HD channels on the component outputs? If so, does it have a decent scaler in it? Does SD scaled to 1080i by the HR10-250 look noticeably better or worse than the s-video out?

2. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Not sure, probably.

3. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    I have a Pioneer Elite PRO620HD, 58" RPTV. I have COMPONENT out or the HR10-250, and the TIVO states 1080i. I have no idea whether it's true but looks like it is.

4. Matt heebner

Matt heebner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Wauwatosa, WI
    The component out does indeed pass all the resolution for now. I suppose sometime in the future everyone will eventually need a digital signal path that supports HDCP encryption.

The scaler will upconvert all channels to a 1080i signal. I think it does an okay job...nothing great. You can change the resolution with a remote button to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i if needed. I would say IMHO that the scaler does a better job upconverting than the signal via S-Video. Just gives a better and sharper picture.

Matt

5. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    Component is noticibly better than S-Video on my display. (Your display may vary.)

In a fit of uncharacteristic good sense the FCC has decreed that, at least for cable systems, component output will never be downrezzed when compared to HMDI. That doesn't apply to D*, but the theory is they won't want to be at a competitive disadvantage by downrezzing the component.

I'm not worried about component outputs.