HR10-250 Capacity Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Wilmo54, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Wilmo54

Wilmo54 New Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Indy

Advertisements

I have the HR10-250 and I believe the capacity for recording is approx. 200 or 250 hours for SD and 30 hours of HD. First off are these numbers correct. Secondly and most important are these numbers combined or separate. In other words can I have 200/250 hours of SD recordings PLUS 30 hours of HD? Or does an HD recording of say 3 hours take up roughly 30 hours of my total recording space. I assumed the two were combined. Therefore I would rarely keep an HD program for very long, because I thought it would cause the Tivo to erase some of my older SD programs I have saved. Then yesterday, I recorded a 3 1/2 hour football game in HD assuming I would lose some of my older SD recordings because I have a pretty full hard drive. But I didn't lose any of the old recordings. With that being said, one of two things occurred. Either my recorder isn't as full as I thought, or I have 200/250 hours of SD record space AND 30 hours of HD record space. Sorry for the drawn out post. Thanks in advance for any insight on this question.

Wilmo

2. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    I'm pretty sure that it is not 250 plus 30. It's one hard drive and the capacity is 250 SD OR 30 HD so if you record some of each, it will affect the capacity for the other. There are actually some posts where some people provided a formula for this.

3. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    250gb hard drive, no exact formulas because of different data/bit rates on the OTA HD and dtv HD channels but it is a total of 200 hours for sd, or 30 for HD. Not a combination of 200 SD + 30 HD.

200 hours of SD only, then no hd.
    30 hours HD so no sd.
    or say approx 10 hours hd and 120 hours of SD.
    some have mentioned approx 1 hour of HD is approx 8-9 hours SD

IF you don't want them deleted make you you have chosen Save Until I Delete for them in the now playing list.

When you try to record something it will tell you if there is space availalbe or not.

4. PittCaleb

PittCaleb New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor,...
    I agree with the logic entirely...

But we recently went on vacation, so I edited down the todo list to endusure it only recorded the shows I really wanted to watch (2 weeks, all prime-time shows in first-run status)...

When i returned, I had 19 hours of HD and 56 hours of SD programming on disk. According to my guestimates, this would have filled the device entirely.

1 hr SD ~= 1.25 gb disk space
    1 hr DH ~= 8.33 gb disk space

So my recordings alone should have taken up about 228 gb - right about the capacity of the HR10-250. But I also had 4 pages of TiVo Suggestions on disk.

Then a few days later, keep in mind, I'm 'charting' this because I'm afraid of losing something I actually want to watch, I had 23.5 hours of HD and 45 hours of SD on disk - plus 2 pages of TiVo Suggestions. My usage, based on the above, should have been about 252 gb. I think for the first time in my long history of DVR's (UTV, DirecTiVo, HD-DirecTiVo) the stated hour capacity is actually, for me at least, a bit more than as advertised.

Who knows, the shows I tape may be highly compressable - all I know is that according to my math, they shouldn't be fitting - and that's not counting all the TiVo suggestions in the queue.

Cheers,
    Caleb

5. jor-el

jor-el New Member

May 24, 2002

Advertisements

Very little SD programming takes 1.2/hr these days. Sometimes, but 800-900 seems more typical.

Same for HD - a couple shows like Lost or Rome get close to 8gigs for the hour. Most is 4-5.

Also, you only have about 210g free for programming. 30 is wasted (reserved) on tivo clips and showcases and ads.

6. ericlhyman

ericlhyman Member

May 19, 2001
    Silver...
    DirecTV is highly compressing HD signals . This has a deleterious effect on picture quality, but enables your HD Tivo to hold more 1080i HD programs.

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I record strictly HD on my two HR10's, and I record 95% OTA, 5% DTV HD. I also have all recordings and SPs to save "until I delete". While that does not give an entirely accurate picture of how much space there is on the drives, counting the shows recorded plus the shows it intends to record (up until the point in the To Do List where it says "...no space will be available to record this program...") gives an interesting picture.

My 30 hour unit has 23 hours recorded, yet will record another 15 hours before running out of space. My 83 hour unit has 62 hours recorded, yet will record another 29 hours before running out of space. At least that is the claim from the Tivo interface. Since the space taken by existing recordings is measurable and the space intended for pending recordings is an estimate, and since it already intends to record more than the rated capacity, that makes me think that the guestimation was originally based on a figure that might be higher than what the real world of OTA DT in my market would reflect, and if so, that means that both units could probably even fit more programs than the current estimation. I don't know how non-user partitions affect this (but my cynicism expects the VOD partition to grow if these drives ever end up in a MPEG-4 box).

So, bottom line, it looks like DTV has been very generous in rating the capacity of the HR10. This is quite different from DISH, where a "60-hour" PVR holds about 43 hours of programming on a good day (assuming that filling it to capacity won't crash the drive and corrupt programs, as it usually does).

8. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    you're agonizing too much...Tivo will delete its suggestions before it deletes anything YOU recorded...if it doesn't have enough space, it will tell you when you try to record something new...

just make whatever you want to keep "save until I delete"...Tivo won't delete anything with that status...if the disk gets full, it won't record anything new...

some people keep the Tivo Suggestion "On" just to measure how much disk space they have left...the more on the drive, the more space you have...since these have the lowest priority (unless you change their delete status individually), that seems to work pretty well without the use of charts ;)

9. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Will conversely using only OTA (which is what I do) mean it will hold much less? I guess would the safest thing be to assume 8:1 ratio for HD to be supersafe?

I hadn't even thought about the 30 hour thing..zoinks!

10. jor-el

jor-el New Member

May 24, 2002
    ABCW and ABC-KGO (San Francisco) are running about the same size for the trials I've done on the same programming, and the size for Lost off ABCW tends to confirm this.

So OTA may take more space, or may be even.

11. LarryBrooks

LarryBrooks New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Does anyone know the space usage when you record a hd-capable signal when the original is only in SD? Examples are ESPN-HD providing SD output, and PBS local stations that are not their HD channel.

12. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Usuallythe SD program recorded on a HD channel will use the higher bitrate.

13. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Larry, it's still a great deal larger than if you recorded it on the SD channel. Some multiplier between 4x and 6x

14. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    as a totally unexpert opinion, but based on what i've read on these boards, i assign a value of 5/1 for most HD stuff except someone said Lost was 7 or 8x. Some people have hacks on their machines to indicate space.

I didn't realize the bigger rates when i first got the HDtivo and lost a few days programs :(

still....SD OTA beats directv locals any day of the week

15. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    An SD program upconverted and broadcast as 1080i will take just as much space as the equivalent HD program broadcast from that source as true 1080i. The bit rate is slightly variable, but not by much. IOW, an SD poker show on ESPN will take as much space per hour as an HD MLB game.

But, local SD channels on DTV are severely compressed, so if you are going to watch and/or delete quickly, it might be worth recording from a DT channel for that program. You will not see the benefit of HD resolution, but you will see far fewer digital artifacts that way.