HR10-250 Audio Dropouts

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by AJ500, Nov 25, 2007.

1. AJ500

AJ500 Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Cincinnati

Advertisements

My HR10-250 recently starting having short audio dropouts, sometimes as many a 10-15 per minute. Then, it may go several minutes without a drop. The unit is one of the original ones. About a year ago it had a similar problem that went away after a Clear & Delete Everything. This time that didn't help. It's running 6.3e.

I've searched the threads and didn't find a definite solution -- replacing disk drive; power supply; using analog audio rather than digital.

Did I miss one? Has anyone found a sure cure, short of replacing the unit? I may try replacing the disk drive since I can use it elsewhere if it doesn't fix the problem.

I'd lke to keep the unit since the HR21 doesn't have an OTA tuner.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    For completeness, were you watching DirecTV or OTA.

3. AJ500

AJ500 Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Cincinnati
    I was watching OTA HD LSU-Arkansas game live at the time it first started. Then I switched to satellite and still had drops. I switched to PCM and the problem seemed less severe, but still there.

After the game, I did the clear & delete everything and it was OK for awhile. But, today it's back.

I should add that the audio is optical to a Denon 4802 AVR.

4. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Don't rule out the source. If the original analog audio hits the encoder in the sat truck too hard, this is exactly what will happen, short audio dropouts. It is quite common, sadly, on sports backhauls.

The HR10 running 6.3x has a similar issue, but it usually presents as missing audio for 8 seconds with a single video breakup at the point where audio returns. On mine running 6.3b it happens about once a week. It has been tied to 5.1 audio, and there are no credible reports of this with 2.0 audio.

5. AJ500

AJ500 Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Cincinnati

Advertisements

Thanks for the insight. The dropouts yesterday were also during an NFL game. Maybe I was too hasty to wonder if it was a failing drive (the original from the 5/2004 HR10-250). I'll just see what happens over the next few days before during anything.