HR 10 250 no longer working

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Rinkdog, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Rinkdog

Rinkdog New Member

Dec 21, 2005

Advertisements

I thought I was one of the lucky ones, however after only 18 months of loyal service my HD Tivo appears to be near death. It no longer responds to commands from remote or the unit until a reboot after which it only works for a few moments. It also reboots itself randomly. I will make the dreaded call to D today and hope for a new one. I cannot justify spending anything to replace this unit when it was $1000.
    What an unreliable piece of junk.

2. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    It's prolly just the hard drive taking a dump.

3. Rinkdog

Rinkdog New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    After almost an hour and 4 different csr I have a refurbished unit on the way. They actually tried to get me to pay full price for it. After threatening to switch providers the price dropped to $0. I was also told I needed a protection package. Why should you pay to protect yourself from their inferior merchandise? Obviously these machines have a problem or they would not have such a supply of refurbished units to pass on to us.

4. Kevin L

Kevin L Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Gulf Cove, FL
    Almost any device with a hard drive runs a higher risk of failure than a device that is all electronic. It has nothing to do with inferior design. The HR10 uses standard PC hard drives that are susceptible to failure, especially if it's too hot. It pays to check the System Information screens every so often to see what temp the unit's running. I have my three HR10s in a well-ventilated shelving unit. They all have dual hard drives. The hottest runs at 44C and the coolest runs at 33C.

Most electronics today comes with a 1-Year Parts and 90-Day Labor warranty. The HR10 is covered with a 1-Year Parts and Labor warranty. DirecTV replaced your unit six months out of warranty. Pretty good service IMO. Try to get Sony to repair something out-of-warranty at no charge.

5. enovak

enovak New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    MA

Advertisements

Glad to hear I'm not alone on this one. Mine failed within minutes of finishing a software update on the 13th. Unfortunately for me I went on vacation before noticing the problem so I have now missed almost 2 weeks of shows.

The CSR's had me try a "Clear All" (or whatever it's really called), so I did that Tuesday night. They said it would take about 1-4 hours, but when I checked it in the morning it was still going.

They are sending me a new/refurbished unit.

Hopefully the replacement for the HR10-250 will be more reliable. Both of my SD Directivos have worked fine for years.

6. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Pretty funny writing RINKDOG..

What an unreliable piece of junk.
    It worked non-stop for 18 months didn't it ?Did you think it would be working perfect forever ?

Why should you pay to protect yourself from their inferior merchandise?
    Because whether it's inferior or not you're the one that threw down $1000 to buy it, not rent it, buy it.

Keep on posting this funny stuff like this.
    :)

7. Rinkdog

Rinkdog New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Sorry I lied, it actually only worked for $15 months. My theory on protection plans is never buy them and over my lifetime I would have save enough to replace whatever defective merchandise I may have bought. As far as this item not being unreliable, I know many people with different brands of DVR's and Tivos that have not had the problems commonly described on this forum. But even so, the 10 250 is still the best receiver out there hands down or I would not have plunked down the bucks for it. But I would expect D to stand behind it not try to gouge me $500 for a refurbished receiver when I could by a new one at the local electonics store for that. After all as I told them, over the last 10 years I have spent well over $2000 on their receivers.