HR-10 250 install question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by pudge44, Jan 26, 2006.

1. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    My 3-LNB dish/HR10-250 installation is scheduled for tomorrow.

I order the unit from D* directly -- called retention, got a decent deal though not as good as a lot of what's been reported on here -- and my question is, what cables will be included?

I see on D*'s web site that that tech specs listing for the HR10 says its comes with both an HDMI and a component cable. I need HDMI to hook the HR10 to my TV and I need the component cable to hook my DVD player to the TV. Will the installer give me both cables, even though I only need one of them for the HR10?

Anything else I should expect/look out for?

Thanks!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The HR10 should include in the box an HDMI-HDMI cable and a HDMI-DVI cable. I don't recall if it also includes a component cable, but I think it does. Some people have reported not getting these in the box.

The installer should run two lines from the dish. In my view it would be worthwhile to pay extra to run all four at that time.

3. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    Steve, thanks for your reply. Since I have two other receivers (including a DSR6000 that I'm going to drop down to one tuner), doesn't he need to run all four lines into a 4x4 multiswitch?

That was my expectation. I currently have a dual LNB dish with two lines coming into a 2x4 MS (two lines out to the DSR, one to another non-tivo receiver). The HR10 will be my 3rd receiver.

4. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Aren't they going to upgrade you to a Phase III dish?

5. fredflint

fredflint New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    I got this unit installed last week. Mine came with HDMI, HDMI/DVI, component and composite cables. Installer pulled a fast one on me. I used the HDMI and component cables, but he stole the HDMI/DVi cable while I wasn't looking. I guess he will sell it on ebay.

6. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    Yes, I'm getting the Phase III with the install. Doesn't that require four lines into a 4x multiswitch for me to run multiple receivers?

7. greywolf

greywolf New Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Evanston IL
    The Phase III has 4 outputs. If you need more than 4 connections, make sure the installer and DirecTV know and the installer will put in a 4x8 multiswitch.

8. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    No, you don't need a 4x4 multiswitch. The dish has a built-in multiswitch with four outputs.

But why go down to one tuner on your other dtivo? The install should include a 5x8 multiswitch *if needed*.

So why not take it?

9. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    That's interesting. I was leaning against running two lines to the old Tivo because it's moving to the basement and would mean another hole in the LR floor above. But if the 5x8 is included, maybe I'll go ahead and have the installer do that.

I need to think about my whole wiring arrangement. I currently have one TV in an upstair bedroom, the HD set and a Media Center PC in the main floor living room, and another set in the basement.

My old arrangement had two lines of a 2-LNB dish coming into a 2x4 MS behind the LR set. Two lines into the DTivo. I hooked it up to the TV with S-Video and ran the coax sat-out down through a hole in the floor to the basement. I used remote extenders to control the DTivo from down there.

The third line from the MS went back out the wall, up the side of the house and into the bedroom upstairs. I split the Sat-out from that (non-Tivo) box, ran one line to the bedroom TV, and another back out the bedroom wall down the side of the house, into the basement, back up through the living room floor and into my PC. So I was using two receivers to run four TVs.

With the HR-10, I'm planning to go up to three receivers, putting the old DTivo in the basement and running it back up to the upstairs bedroom, and hooking my old non-Tivo receiver directly to the PC.

What are the odds the installer runs the necessary cable for me without an extra charge?

10. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Ask the installer," What kind of beer" he likes. Tell him, your running out to the store to get a case.

Done that twice before and works. Quite well. THe guys from Ironwood here in Phoenix are great. Chan definately knows about customer service and knows his stuff when it comes to the installations.

Then again, dead presidents work too. Normally in denominations of $50.

11. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    Beer ... the universal currency.

12. Philly Bill

Philly Bill Everyday is Saturday

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...
    Beer ALWAYS works.

13. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    All this talk is making me thirsty!

14. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'd change the wiring from the dish to go into the basement where the 5x8 would be installed. Then run two up through the basement floor for the LR TiVo and run whatever other lines to the other receivers. This will make the install behind the LR TV cleaner.