HR-10 250 HDMI Broke

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Johnny Dancing, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I have had my HR-10 250 for several years but just today got a high def TV only to discover that my HDMI port does not pass sound or video.

I ended up using S-Video to get a standard picture.

I seem to remember hearing the HDMI port was quite flakey on the HR-10 250 when I first bought it. Or could there be a setting I am missing to get the port to work?

Also, everything is HDMI 1.3 now and I am sure the HR-10 250 is something like HDMI 1.0. Could that be the problem?

Any ideas before I send it in for repair? I bought a 5 year warranty because these Tivos were known to be a bit fragile.

BTW: I have a H10 D* DVR coming Tuesday so I can use that for the high def and the Tivo for Standard which was kind of the plan anyway so maybe I just forget about TiVo hi-def. But while I wait for the new unit, it would have been nice to see some stuff in Hi-def.

2. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
  3. BBHughes

BBHughes Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Why not use the component outputs to get an HD picture? There is not much difference in PQ between that and HDMI.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It's certainly cheapest to simply use the component video outputs instead of HDMI. But if you want to have your HDMI card repaired, these guys are reputable ....
    http://www.ccscorporation.net/

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Very doubtful. The HR10 is v1.1 but the HDMI spec is backward compatible, meaning that new versions will not skunk older protocols and older HDMI transmit chips will still work at the v1.1 level with newer HDMI receiver chips.

Check your system information. If it says HDMI is not initialized, even when you are connected, you likely have a bum HDMI card, which is sadly very common.

6. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I have been trying the components and the colors are all messed up. Like I have them plugged in in the wrong order. I am looking for another component cable to test.

7. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Ok, I narrowed down the problem. I ran the component lines direct to the TV and BINGO perfect picture. So my brand new top of the line Pioneer Elite receiver is introducing interference into the line. Ironic, since I upgraded the receiver specifically for Hi def A/V switching.

So now I need to figure out if it is a noisy power strip or a bad reciever. I have a Belkan PureAV powline conditioner arriving today. After I set that up, I should know for sure if I have a defective Receiver.

The TiVo HDMI is still bad but the component line works fine so I will not bother with a repair at this time. My warranty goes to 2009 so if it really fries out I'll get the HDMI fixed then.

8. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I have to ask, what good is a warranty on a product that is no longer manufactured, stocked, or sold? What will they give you if the entire inside of yours fries itself?

9. incog-neato

incog-neato ObamaGuy

Sep 17, 2007
    The Cold...
    An HR20 :)

10. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Good question. The warrenty is via Circ Cty so they would need to honor it somehow. Hey, I would take the $999 I paid for it if they could not fix it. :)

11. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Most likely they would offer you an "equivalent" DVR as a replacement. The only "equivalent" is the HR20 HD DVR.

12. Johnny Dancing

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    If I was evil, just before the warranty ends and everything is mpeg4 my TiVo could all of a sudden have major problems. But I am too honest to pull that off..