HR 10-250 -- Audio Dropouts and now Overheating

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by UKWildcats, Jan 18, 2011.

1. UKWildcats

UKWildcats New Member

Nov 6, 2007

Advertisements

HR 10-250 Issues that I could not find a clear answer to -- So hoping someone can help me out.

Connections
    HDMI -- to TV for video only
    Digital Audo -- Optical Cable to Harman Kardon Receiver

Issues:
    -- For a few weeks (maybe longer) I would get a mild popping on speakers when adjusting volume -- nothing major.
    -- Saturday -- Audio Dropouts lasting 15 seconds give or take, Video was fine
    -- Sunday the receiver was non-responsive and had to unplug to get it back, when this happened again I unplugged/reset and on bootup I got the "Overheat" screen that has not disappeared.
    -- Cleared/Reset the receiver via menu option -- Overheat Screen on boot

DirectTV is going to replace my receiver and upgrade the dish's but I would like to determine if the 10-250 is repairable -- they are not charging me.

What I have done:
    1. I cleaned out the reciever and fan -- yes it was very dusty in there -- Tied rebooting but same Overheat problem
    2. Disconnect HDMI to TV and Replaced with RGB -- Overheat Again

The unit does not feel hot -- Searches on the Internet indicate that the Power Supply could be the culprit (or HDMI but since I got the same Overheat Screen with HDMI disconnected I am hoping that HDMI is not the issue).

Is there a way to determine if the powersupply is bad -- a test with a multi-meter.

I would like to fix and use the 10-250 to replace a SD Tivo system -- but only if I know how much it would cost to repair -- DTV indicated I can get another HD DVR (newest) for $100 so I know what I would be willing to spend to get repaired.

Thanks for any help.

UK

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The power supply problem is not something you can test. Cheapest way is to buy a used HR10 from eBay, etc. and swap the power supply.

3. UKWildcats

UKWildcats New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Thanks -- never thought about looking on ebay -- I did see a replacement PS was about $70 online.

Would a bad PS cause audio issues like I was experiencing -- I can see how it could cause the overheat problems.

Thanks

UK

4. KurtBJC

KurtBJC New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I had the overheat problem a while back, and swapping in a power supply from an old unit I'd gotten off of eBay did fix it--the fix was very easy to do. As for the audio dropouts, though, it is very unlikely that that has anything to do with the power supply and so if you do swap out the PS you probably should expect that to continue. If, like me, you're just sort of "limping along" until the new HD unit comes out, you might consider just going to right/left stereo analog audio for a while (assuming that's unaffected by your dropouts) as a patch--it wouldn't get you surround sound, but might make things less annoying.

5. UKWildcats

UKWildcats New Member

Nov 6, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks -- for the help -- I am limping along until the new TIVO system comes out -- What I probably do is assuming DirectTV can upgrade me (weather issues -- dish is on the roof) is use the replacement receiver until the new System is released and them move the replacment to the family room.

UK

6. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Actually the cheapest way is to replace 1 or 2 bulging capacitors on the power supply board. You only need to be good with a solder gun. Parts are a few bucks.

And bad power supply can cause problems with digital audio output.

7. JRAllas

JRAllas Spoiled by Tivo

Mar 26, 2006
    Crest Hill, IL
    My HR10-250 began doing the same thing in the past week. I had the DirecTivo connected to my TV via HDMI with no problems in the past. The audio began with light static and occasional thumping in and out. It became increasingly worse until the audio completely dropped out. My solution was to connect the DirecTivo to my TV via the composite audio/video connections (RCA jacks). The sound is fine now, but the color no longer looks as good as it did with HDMI. The only cable I had that was long enough to reach was a patch cable with one video and two audio connections. Could this cable be my problem? Should I get a replacement or will I be wasting my time/money? Thanks!

8. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The composite connection is standard-def, so sure, it won't look as good as HDMI. Have you tried the component video connections?

9. Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    You don't really need any special cable for component connections, I just use the standard 3 connection cable. White ---> Blue, Yellow --> Green and Red --> Red. Of course, you'll need to run a separate audio cable...

10. JRAllas

JRAllas Spoiled by Tivo

Mar 26, 2006
    Crest Hill, IL
    I don't know why I said "composite". I meant "Component". I was using a composite cable for the component signal. I replaced the cable and it looked great again. The problem I have now is that the overheating warning started happening more often and now it happens before the unit gets fully re-booted. I'm awaiting a new power supply from Weaknees as I type this. I'll follow-up when I've solved the problem.

11. racer21

racer21 Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Mukilteo, WA
    I had the same issues with audio drop outs, and the unit shutting off for overheating.

When I would re boot I would get a get a screen that said the unit was shut off due to overheating.

Replaced the power supply and it seems to be working fine. No audio drop outs since the power supply was replaced.

12. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I replaced two capacitors in the power supply and solved the (false) overheating, sound dropouts and rebooting frequently problems. Definitely worth $3 for two capacitors. I will look for the instructions I found in the TiVo forum at the time.

13. Budget_HT

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I found the reference to the vintage 2001 thread that I used as a guide to find and replace my bad capacitors. But the url does not work for me now. Maybe someone knows how to find a cached or archived version.

http:// deal database .com/forum/showthread.php?p=298828

(You will have to delete the embedded spaces and copy and paste the results into your browser, because TiVo Community filters out references to this other site.)

14. Budget_HT

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    Here is one quick reference to the symptoms and solutions, but not really instructions for replacing the bad capacitors. Still looking...

Found in the archives of D--- D---b---, another TiVo enthusiast forum:

"Ok, I had the exact same problems, starting with the Digital Audio, then intermittant access card, then temp warnings w/shutdown. I sure went the hard road finding it, after patching the software to kill the temp warnings, going to analog audio and even changing the access card driver chip. Now I will save every one else that wasted time.

"IT's THE POWER SUPPLY!!! There were two caps (capacitors) that were hidden under the heatsincs, just two small things- mine were even bulging. C15 and C42, both 470uf @ 6.3v, when replacing them use 16v or 25v ones, they will last way longer.

"It explained everything, High frequency was bleeding from the switching pulses in the power supply onto a 3v and 5v sub power lines (not the main ones for the HD or CPU) but fed key parts on the I2c buss, smart card and Digital audio.

"Hope that helps someone!!! "

15. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    I have recently been having audio issues, drop outs same place on the playback. Very odd, video seems fine so I don't think it is the HD again. That said, I moved from OPTICAL OUT to composite outs (just red/white) and the drops stopped, which doesn't make a LOT of sense. I can't imagine a bad optical cable would have audio dropouts at the same place same time, and it COULD be the received optical input, but again, why the same place on the playback? Could it be the digital encoding or something on the recordings?

16. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    Can anyone parse out the links or pm me the links for the ps capacitor repair?

I just started having the "temperature too high" warning and shut down this morning.

17. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
  18. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
  19. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    My HR10 was fine until I bought a new TV with HDMI connections. 1 week after switching from component to HDMI I got the repeated Overheat warning issue and going back to Component didn't fix it, it was a one-way trip. That was about the time of the MPEG-4 switchover so I just went with an HR20 replacement.

20. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    I just bought this power supply, seems to be the original just cheaper. Should have it tomorrow, they are in the bay area. I'll let you guys know how it works.