HR 10-250 and Local HD on DTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by riddler24x7, Apr 6, 2006.

1. riddler24x7

riddler24x7 New Member

Dec 7, 2005

Advertisements

DTV recently added my market to the local HD channels. I have an HR 10-250 receiver. Is it true that this receiver will not accept local channels in HD, other than with an over the air antenna? I currently have an OTA for my local HD. When I tried to watch an HD program yesterday on DTV channels it was not in HD. I remember reading that the HR 10-250 would not receive these signals because they were Mpeg4. Is this true? Thanks!!!!

2. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    You're absolutely correct. The HR10 can't handle the mpeg4 signal.

3. riddler24x7

riddler24x7 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Damn!!

4. bclasen

bclasen New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    So I assume this means 2 things, right?

1. All local HD is broadcast with an MPEG4 signal; and
    2. The HR-10 has an OTA input.

Reason I'm asking is my is getting installed in a few days.

Thanks,
    Bob

5. mslot

mslot New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Oklahoma...

Advertisements

1. True, unless you're in LA or NY (which is MPEG2).
    2. The HR10-250 has an OTA input but only for ATSC signals (digital). This is what you want for HDTV.

The HR10-250 seamlessly adds the OTA channel to the lineup/guide, switching from satellite to antenna as needed. In my area NBC is channel 4, so I have 4 (from DirecTV), 4-1 (OTA, same programming as 4, but sometimes in HD), 4-2,4-3,4-4 (various other broadcasts, mostly weather stuff). I schedule recordings on 4-1 for primetime HD stuff.

riddler24x7:
    I don't see the problem with using the OTA HD signal as the quality is better than DirecTV's anyway- unless you cannot receive the OTA signal well because of antenna/distance problems.
    In addition, you don't lose signal as often due to rain/snow fade (here anyway).

Regards,

Maurice

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Not quite.
    Local HD is "Broadcast" MPEG2 and the HR-10250 can record it just fine from an antenna, if you have a good signal from the transmitters.

DirecTV HD local service is MPEG4 and there is no DVR that can do MPEG4 and DirecTV, not yet anyway,
    there will never be a TiVo that can do DirecTV MPEG4 HD recordings.

LA and NY HD feeds are still MPEG2 from DirecTV and the HR10-250 can record them if you can get them.

phox

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    While you are correct, I think what he was trying to say is that all local DTV HD is transmitted to the boxes as MPEG-4 (other than the DNS, that is).

And never say never. That would be like making a final proclamation that Windows will never run on a Macintosh.

8. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    That'll never happen either. :D

I hope TiVo sees the error of their judgement and gets back onboard with DirecTV heck, Echostar even, and offers a one hit wonder TiVo.
    OTA SD, OTA HD, Satellite HD and SD, Cable SD and HD, and whatever else comes along, Internet TV, who knows.

phox

9. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I assume you were joking via the smiley

http://www.macwindows.com/

Apple's own dual-boot solution lacks the problems of other solutions. April 5, 2006 -- Today, Apple released a beta version of its own solution for booting Windows on Intel-based Macs. (See this Apple press release.) The software, called Boot Camp, installs the required software to enable the user to install and boot Windows. (Apple does not include a copy of Windows.)