HP partners with TiVo to bring add on to WHS

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jmpage2, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004

Advertisements

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/03/10/hp-mediasmart-expander-for-tivo-revealed/

Pretty cool stuff!

While there are plenty of ways to do this, it looks like one of the slickest ways to manage a TiVo collection back and forth between a home server.

As I already have the HP MSS EX495 I will be downloading and setting this up right away, comments to follow!

2. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I am so all over this. I have been waiting for this ever since I got MSS last year.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    it looks like a really nice skin of TiVo desktop but does not support automatic transfers. I do not get it?

4. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    It looks like they made it run as a service.

5. TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA

Advertisements

What really sucks is it is only compatible with the latest HP Mediasmart Servers - once again, early adopters (HP MSS EX475) are screwed.... I've got Series 3 Deja Vu ownership issues all over again inside of 1 week with the no updated GUI on the heels of the Premier..... I couldn't even have time to get over that one!!

6. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I have Tivo and the LX195 HP Home Server. How do I upgrade this model to V3.0 so I can download this new add-on?

Please let me know. Thanks.

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    A lot of people don't do automatic transfers, they just archive select shows for later viewing or retrieval.

Hopefully they will add the automatic transfer feature eventually since it's a big deal to a select group of folks.

I have installed the add-on and all I had to do was put in my media key and it sees the recordings on both of my TiVos.

The beauty here really is that if you have the WHS client installed on all of your PCs and Macs in the house then you can pull up this control console from any of them and quickly move shows around. Pretty cool stuff.

8. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    You need to order the 3.0 upgrade from HP, it's not free. I also am not sure if the LX195 is able to run the 3.0 software, so you should check the HP support website.

9. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I wonder if you upgrade to 3.0 if you can run it.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    it just makes it easier to install rather then having to sneak your way into the box to install tivo desktop and/or pytivo.

11. jkhansen

jkhansen New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Can anyone confirm if this will run on an EX47x or EX48x upgraded to the 3.0 software?

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    ah. so is the client a remote control of the WHS? can you watch the videos on other PC's as well via the client or by copying the file to the other PC?

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    each client in the house installs some software that gives it remote control of the server and does the nightly backups (and checks on the clients antivirus and whatnot).

So you can remote control the WHS from any client in the house (or on the web- as the WHS comes with built in remote access and DDNS support). (in fact many of the WHS' sold are headless without even a VGA port)

Not sure of the mechanism of watching the videos on other pc's but the WHS can act as a DLNA server so maybe that could be leveraged? (not sure how the whole decrypt would be handled- I have a first gen WHS so no fun for me as not supported)

14. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Looks like I am screwed on getting 3.0 for the LX195. It's not even available. That and HP can't even get the Media Collector to work right. They lied to me about having an upgrade to 2.5 coming out which never did. Thanks for nothing HP! What a waste of $

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    i just found out (via wegotserved) that HP sells an upgrade disk to their 3.0 version of the software for our first gen boxes.

it's like 27.95 plus a couple bucks for 2 day shipping. Check out their support site.

16. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The add-in for WHS puts the transferred recordings in the WHS media share called "Recorded TV" in a subfolder called "tivo".

This should make the recordings available to any device on the network that can access an SMB share.

17. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
  18. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Since I can't upgrade to 3.0 with the LX195. Is there another way I can access the content on my Tivo and copy it over to the LX195?

Please let me know. Thanks.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I would assume you can get TiVo desktop installed on the WHS. maybe others can chime in on that that have tried

20. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The disadvantage of doing it that way is you would need to remote into your WHS instead of using the WHS connector software to use it.