How would you rank the current super hero / comic book tv shows?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1 of 36
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

tv.com ranks the 10 current (as of late February) comic book/super hero shows from 2015/2016 here: http://www.tv.com/shows/marvels-jes...omic-book-superhero-shows-on-tv-145375291208/

Here's my list using their 10 shows:

1) Daredevil - Blew me away most of the time
    2) Jessica Jones - Very good but didn't have the same impact on me as Daredevil
    3) Agent Carter - The second season was great and the actors were cast extremely well. Plus, Haley Atwell - day-um!
    4) The Flash - Most of the characters work (except Caitlyn and Jay)
    5) iZombie - Never heard of the comic but like the show
    6) Agents of SHIELD - much better last season
    7) Gotham - maybe too gloomy
    8) Arrow - just stop it with the flashbacks. Please!
    9) Supergirl - Melissa Benoist nails it but the show is pretty lightweight
    --- Huge gap of galactic proportions---
    10) Legends Of Tomorrow - This is not a very good show

2. Mar 4, 2016 #2 of 36
    kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Here's my rankings:

1) Daredevil - Quite nicely done
    2) Jessica Jones - Seemed a bit drawn out to me, but a refreshingly different take on the superhero angle
    3) The Flash - This one just seems to hum along nicely.
    4) Gotham - I like the gloom, even though I have to take a lot of it with more than a grain of salt
    5) Agent Carter -Enjoying it, but really liked the New York setting better.
    6) Agents of SHIELD - Good, but starting to sag
    7) Arrow - I, too, think this one is slipping.
    8) Supergirl - Seems too lightweight, and teenish. Seems like they could have done more with it.

The others I didn't see, or didn't care for.

3. Mar 4, 2016 #3 of 36
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Does Walking Dead not qualify?

4. Mar 4, 2016 #4 of 36
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I dont't get those pay channels... but for those of us plebes get?

5) iZombie - Never heard of the comic but like the show
    3) Agent Carter - The second season was great and the actors were cast extremely well. Plus, Haley Atwell - day-um!
    Love the actresses in both of these.

7) Gotham - maybe too gloomy
    great productions values
    9) Supergirl - Melissa Benoist nails it but the show is pretty lightweight
    --- Huge gap of galactic proportions---
    love her too

4) The Flash - Most of the characters work (except Caitlyn and Jay)
    6) Agents of SHIELD - much better last season
    8) Arrow - just stop it with the flashbacks. Please!
    10) Legends Of Tomorrow - This is not a very good show
    LoT is bad. I still watch.

5. Mar 4, 2016 #5 of 36
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

I've only watched Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Daredevil was good. Jessica Jones was excellent.

6. Mar 4, 2016 #6 of 36
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think when people reference a comic book show, they're really talking about something that resides in a super hero universe.

While "Walking Dead" was based on a comic book, I don't think many would really consider it to be a comic book show.

7. Mar 4, 2016 #7 of 36
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    #1 - Jessica Jones by a large margin
    #2 - Daredevil
    #3 - Agents of SHIELD
    #4 - iZombie
    #5 - The Flash

Nothing else worth watching, IMO.

8. Mar 4, 2016 #8 of 36
    awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    1) iZombie—Actually my #2 show overall, behind only Game of Thrones

2) Gotham—My wife's favorite of these, and she's occasionally said it's her favorite overall, even ahead of GoT.

2.5) Lucifer—So far I really love this show (and yes, it is based on a comic).

3) Daredevil

4) Agents of SHIELD—My wife and I even liked the first season, and they've just kept getting better. The episode completely set on the other planet is, along with BtVS's The Body, one of the best ~50 minutes that's ever been on TV. IMHBCO (in my humble but correct opinion) ;-). (Oh, also throw in there the mutiny two-parter from the final season of Battlestar Galactica, which literally had me on the edge of my seat for two entire episodes.)

5) The Flash/Arrow—These keep swapping back and forth for me, depending on the episode, so we'll rank them as tied. I do agree that the flashbacks on Arrow—which were my favorite part of the series during the first season—have long since ceased to be anything but annoying.

6) Supergirl—While this started out slow, it seems to be getting better of late and may end up higher on this list before too long. It mostly avoids what I'd call unrealistic human interactions that plague the CW shows (Flash/Arrow) of the Berlanti-verse.

7) Legends of Tomorrow—Another one that started out slow but has gotten better. White Canary and Captain Cold save the show all by themselves, though I don't think Cold's dialogue has been quite as sparklingly witty as it was on The Flash. The only real issue I have with this show is that it really only has one villain; he's too powerful, his motivations are annoying at best if not utterly ridiculous, and worst of all, he’s the only villain they have, episode after episode. I also don’t find the Time Masters coming after them to be at all interesting. It’s just another variation on the trope of the police chief holding back the cop/detective from doing their job. It’s boring, it’s overdone, and if I never see that trope again I will not miss it. On the plus side, besides Canary and Cold, even though it's on the CW it also mostly avoids the CWesque unrealistic human interactions.

8) Agent Carter—This picked up late in the first season, but my wife wanted to abandon it early on before finally coming around. I love the actress and the theory of the show, but it just wasn't that interesting early on. That said, we haven't started watching this season yet, so this ranking only involves the first season.

----------------------

Not watched yet: Jessica Jones. From what I've read about it, I'm really looking forward to it and suspect it will rank fairly high.

9. Mar 4, 2016 #9 of 36
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It qualifies if you want it to. I didn't think of it which is a little weird since I finally dumped the OnePass and the saved episodes a week or so ago. I had four episodes left from before the hiatus and couldn't force myself to watch any more. It's just too gloomy and depressing. What's the point of watching a fictional apocalypse when a real live Trumpocalypse may be less than a year away?

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    FYI that Daredevil and Jessica Jones are on Netflix, not any Pay cable channels. So you get them with the Netflix you already pay for. If you don't actually have Netflix then you could sign up for a month, binge watch both and then cancel. :up:

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    As for my ranking:

1) Daredevil - The trailers for season 2 have me wanting to binge watch season 1 again
    2) Jessica Jones - Really, really liked it. And nearly spot on with the comics in terms of tone and some scenes
    3) Agent Carter - Just a heck of a lot of fun, love Ms. Atwell.
    4) The Flash - My fav of the DC shows, Sisco is the real winner here
    5) Arrow - Still like Arrow but agree it has lost something, and I agree the flashbacks while they really worked and were unique that first season, just don't work anymore, dump 'em.
    6) Agents of SHIELD - I could have ranked it #4, really enjoy the show and I could watch Chloe Bennet read the phone book frankly. Follow her on Instagram, you'll thank me later. Oh yea, just read it was renewed for season 4, like there was any question despite the ratings.
    7) Legends Of Tomorrow - Hard time with this one. It's been all over the place but I keep watching because I love Sara and Capt. Cold. My problem is that I'm not invested in Rip nor his "quest" so I could care less about it.

Don't watch:

Supergirl - Watch first 3 episodes and just couldn't take it. Dunno but I felt dumber watching this show.
    iZombie - Watched about half the first season and gave up
    Gotham - No interest at all in it

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Of all those listed, Gotham is the only one I watched for more than a couple of episodes, and I eventually gave up on it.

I watched the first episode of Supergirl and have the rest recorded, just haven't gotten around to watching them yet. I mainly have them to watch with my 10 year old as he liked the first one. My children (most children probably) are a lot more into superheroes than I am (most adults probably).

So, I'd rank them:

1. SuperGirl
    2. Gotham

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Not really. Ask the millions of adults who have turned (soon) Deadpool into the highest grossing R rated movie of all time. :)

When we go see the Marvel or X-Men movies in the theater, they are packed mostly with adults. If you want to dip your toe into some that aren't so "superheroy" try the two Captain America movies. First one is a WW2 period piece and the Winter Soldier (2nd one) is a political/spy thriller. Good place as any to start.

14. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I watch them all except for Agent Carter ( I do have all episodes on my TiVo so eventually I'll get to it).

Here is how I'd rank them:

1) Daredevil
    2) Jessica Jones
    3) The Flash
    4) Arrow
    5) iZombie
    6) Gotham
    7) Agents of Shield
    8) Supergirl
    9) DC Legends of Tomorrow

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I pretty much watch and like all of them and in fact rank most of them pretty closely but:

1. Daredevil
    2. Jessica Jones

These two are leaders then you have a small gap with the next three being very close together.

3. The Flash: Geek heaven with fun storylines. Love Jesse Martin in this.

4. iZombie: fun storylines with well done characters. Rose McIver is a find and the writing is top shelf.

5. Agent Carter: fun storylines with a well done lead.

6. Arrow: a little too soapy angsty but it is the CW. I think Amell does a good job and Emily Betts Rickards is great as Felicity. David Ramsay is solid as well.

7. Gotham: I like this take on pre Batman Jim Gordon and Donal Logue is great as Harvey Bullock but the writing could be better.

8. Lucifer: This could be higher up or lower down the list as it's still pretty early in the show's run but I'm loving Tom Ellis here and the writers have made Lucifer a very interesting character so far. We'll have to see if it gets repetitive or "too procedural".

9. Agents of SHIELD: This show got off to a rocky start but has improved quite a lot and is certainly doing interesting things with the MCU on a television budget with some interesting characters. I love me some Bobbi Morse.

10. Supergirl: It's still finding it's footing and a lot of the writing is lightweight (I wonder how much of that is network dictated) but it still has promise because Melissa Benoist is doing a bang up job here, especially in portraying Kara's joy and enthusiasm in being a hero and that's one thing the writers got right. (I see now that she was incredibly underrated and underused on Glee.)

11. Legends of Tomorrow: Ok, there's a gap here as well but to be fair, the show is still new and finding its footing. I think it suffers from some weaker acting (notably Casper Crump just doesn't seem to be up to the job of playing the evil Vandal Savage), budget constraints and some weaker writing.
    But Wentworth Miller is nailing it as Snart and I also like Garber and Purcell a lot as well as Lotz, and Routh.
    I like it as goofy fun and so far it's doing well ratings wise for the CW so it's not going anywhere soon.

16. bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    dare i say season 2 of agent carter is resembling AoS in the story line... agent zero is some cool stuff.

1. daredevil
    2. jj
    3. a of s
    4. gotham
    5. agent carter
    6. flash
    7. arrow

gave up on supergirl
    LofT is bad, but i am watching it with my kid
    izombie not on my radar

17. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    This thread has answered my question of what shows to watch next, Daredevil & Jessica Jones.

18. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    In that order.

19. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That would leave out iZombie as well.

For me, it's:

1 Jessica Jones
    2 Daredevil
    3 Arrow
    4 Gotham
    5 Flash
    6 Legends of Tomorrow
    7 Supergirl
    8 iZombie
    9 Lucifer
    10 Agent Carter
    11 Agents of SHIELD
    12 Walking Dead
    13 Powers

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  20. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm not sure I can rank any of the aforementioned shows honestly because they vary so much in style and content and my desire to watch any of them varies from week to week. The two Netflix series can afford to be more aggressive and violent whereas the networks have to tame down their shows a bit more. Both Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. started off slow but gradually built up momentum. The first season of both shows were a bit bland, IMHO, but got better in the 2nd season and beyond. Marvel has an edge in that they're tying the TV shows in with their movies. The DC TV shows are mostly fun, but still a lot of fluff, especially Supergirl. Gotham is extremely dark, but I like the casting and the character development. Arrow and Flash are about neck and neck with Legends of Tomorrow being the last of the pack. Lucifer and iZombie (is that actually a show or a new Apple product?) are standalone shows in that they don't really fit the mold of the others, with the exception that they're mostly all crime/cop-oriented.