How would you have ended GoT?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DavidTigerFan, May 23, 2019.

How would you have liked GoT to end?

1. I loved the ending!

11.8%
  2. John kills Dany, proclaims that he is Aegon Targaryen, the rightful heir and rules the seven kingdom

26.5%
  3. John and Dany rule together with Jon tempering Dany

2.9%
  4. Dany goes full Targaryen, kills Jon and proceeds to rule with an iron fist, "liberating" numerous

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jon and Dany die, Sansa rallies the Northmen, marries Tyrion and becomes queen

5.9%
  6. Arya misses with the dagger and the Night King brings an ever lasting winter to the world.

5.9%
  7. Other, please explain.

47.1%
  1. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC

Advertisements

Poll below

2. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Tough question (for me). I have Dany living and ruling. But with Jon, without Jon? For me, it would be with Jon as King of the North. She can't be with him, but I don't think she kills him.

Thing is, I would have done a lot of things differently along the way as well. I would have had her win The Last Battle but not kill innocents.

stellie93 likes this.
  3. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    I didn't /love/ the ending, but I thought it was fine. I wouldn't change anything because I'm not a writer or a showrunner or whatever.

I chose "other"

Saturn_V and SoupMan like this.
  4. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    I don't think there's any way the final episode could have been satisfying, given the utter cluster that was the previous five episodes. It was just not possible for this episode to make up for the previous ones.

5. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...

Advertisements

It's GOT, almost everyone should have died and started over with new houses, all first of their name

uncdrew likes this.
  6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm not angry but my ending would have been Jon keeping his big, damn mouth shut, Dany torching Cercei with a precision strike, Sansa punching a hole in the wall because Dany was still alive, Bran and his wheelchair falling into a 1000 foot deep sinkhole and Arya getting a free trip to Disney World with the Hound.

photoshopgrl and DavidTigerFan like this.
  7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I don't have so much of a problem with how the story panned out for the ending, but it seems to me that they could have split the war with the White Walkers and the war with Cersei into two half seasons unto themselves. They spent a lot of time building up to a climax that was over far too quickly. I think Jon should have been outed as king and made to sit on the throne considering that he was the rightful heir. That fact was never brought to light when the council was discussing his fate.

Steveknj and cheesesteak like this.
  8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I have no objection to the ending per se. I would just have taken maybe another season to build up to it, and flesh things out a little more.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  9. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Of those, I like this one:

John kills Dany, proclaims that he is Aegon Targaryen, the rightful heir and rules the seven kingdom

I do, however, think more main characters should have died. Not really a fan of the fact that while everyone around them died, all the Stark kids live until the end. I also think Arya should have killed Cersai (or, someone should have), the death by rubble was fairly stupid.

10. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    My vote: "I don't subscribe to HBO; will need to wait for a free HBO weekend and hope they do a GoT S8 marathon."

11. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Depends how far you want to go back and "correct" the story.

If I can only fix the finale?
    Dany crisps Tyrion.
    Dany burns Jon for some perceived slight.
    Arya, master assassin after all, gets totally fed up and kills Dany. I haven't decided whose face she should have used.
    Sansa is offered the throne but doesn't want to leave the north. Either (a) since Kings Landing is a wasteland anyway, the throne is relocated to Winterfell; or (b) Sansa abdicates in favor of Bran maybe?

If I get to go back to The Bells?
    This was masterful.

uncdrew and Steveknj like this.
  12. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    My ending would have had a 3 way dragon fight with Dany, Jon, and the Night King battling it out as 3 separate warring factions.

cheesesteak likes this.
  13. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    I wonder if a free preview weekend comes with HBO GO? If so, that's a way to watch anything from the catalog you want (and have time for)!

14. dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    That sounds very similar to the ending of
    The Shield
    from Jon's perspective anyway.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This is one of the best replies I've seen (here or elsewhere). I don't think the ending changes. Jon is a terrible ruler. He's ****** up everything he's touched. And revealing his true identity makes everything worse, not better. We already know Dany is full of rage and anger, and not fit to rule. I really don't have a problem with Bran, because if they showed us a "Ten years later", I think we could see it was the answer that works.

But if last season had been the Battle of Winterfell, and this season The Iron Throne, it would have made more sense, logistically, and story-telling-wise.

Great answer!

16. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I think it has included HBO GO in the past on FiOS, although I prefer to record and watch at my leisure. IIRC, the past couple of Comcast free HBO previews were streaming only.

17. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Hodor

JYoung likes this.
  18. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    When you read these possibilities you realize that there isn't really a very good option. I love Jon, but he wouldn't make a good King, and wouldn't want to be. I'm not that confident in Sansa or Arya....

I really would have liked them to make Dany back into the nice person I thought she was, and let her rule with Jon. But I guess that's out.

No wonder it's taking Martin so long to wrap this up. ;)

photoshopgrl likes this.
  19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Several years back, I wrote:

Here's how I think how the final scene of Game of Thrones should be.
    The camera pans around the Throne Room in King's Landing which is completely littered with the bodies of those we have known throughout the series and their men.

Daenerys, Greyworm, Jorah, Missandie, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, The Mountain, The Hound, Arya, Sansa, Jon, Bran, Brienne, Lady Olena, Davos, Varys, Baelish, Qyburn, Sam, Tormund, Ghost, Nymeria.
    All dead with their bodies lying on the floor.

In walks Hodor who looks at all the death with a sad expression on his face.
    He clears his throat and delivers a wonderful soliloquy on the futility of all this in fighting for power and vanity all while the White Walkers are advancing south.

He then sits down on the Iron Throne, says "Hodor", closes his eyes, and dies peacefully.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Looks like you might have been a touch off on a couple of the minor details...