How would you change The Big Bang Theory?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bob_Newhart, May 2, 2011.

1. May 2, 2011 #1 of 65
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    BBT is one of the few shows I watch anymore on a regular basis. I thought the first couple of seasons were quite good but lately it's losing some of its appeal to me. If you were contacted to make changes to this show to make it more appealing to you, what changes, if any, would you make?

I would get rid of the female characters. Penny would still be okay in small doses, but Pria and AFF and the blond would go. I think this show was better without girlfriends.

Make Johnny Galecki stop squinting or replace him. Otherwise, I like him.

I like Sheldon, although I wish they'd tone down some of his idiosyncrasies so he doesn't become too cartoonish.

I like Howard quite a bit and would use him more.

I don't like Raj but if they must keep him then stop with the "can't talk to girls without liquor" joke.

I like some of the minor characters (comic book guy) and wouldn't mind seeing them more often or even adding more minor characters.

Fix the elevator.

I like it better when it's just the guys hanging out doing nerdy things. When they started bringing in girlfriends it started feeling too much like every other sitcom ever made.

2. May 2, 2011 #2 of 65
    IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I would keep the girls, that's the funniest part right now ( except for Pria, she needs to go, soon).

Sheldon does need to get back to quirky but tolerable. Too over the top right now.

Love Howard and his mother, like Raj except for the liquor thing which is stupid.

More penny less clothing.

3. May 2, 2011 #3 of 65
    2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Charlie Sheen.

:D

4. May 2, 2011 #4 of 65
    rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    Cancel it?

5. May 2, 2011 #5 of 65
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    This...

This...

This...

and....

THIS

6. May 2, 2011 #6 of 65
    robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    drop the live studio audience laughs, i've never been able to watch a full episode and i really want to cause i hear how great this show is.. laughs on queue just bug me

7. May 2, 2011 #7 of 65
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Keep most of everything..

Tone down Sheldon, I know his quirkyness is easy plot material for the writers but it makes Leonard look like he has absolutely zero self esteem and I'm beginning to hate his character. Sheldon can and is funny and is most of the time, but when the plot of an episode follows him and his complete a-hole'ness of how he treats his friends it starts to be off putting.

I'm hoping Pria is a plot device to allow some growth for Leonard.

8. May 2, 2011 #8 of 65
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I can get on board with this one.

I am going to go back and watch the first season again because I don't see any huge shift in the Sheldon character that everyone is lamenting. I think he has always been the same.

9. May 2, 2011 #9 of 65
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Keep Penny but put her in her original role as a friend only. I like Howards girlfriend and Sheldon's girlfriend also. But lesson their roles.

10. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I don't really have a problem with Sheldon or any of the characters. Well, maybe the Raj not talkign to girls thing. But the only issue I see is not that Sheldon is quirky, but that he - like many other tv characters, just don't grow any. Bones is an example. Her quirkyness was amusing and seemed natural at first but now it's like come on, get over it. Leonard and Howard have been allowed to grow and stretch a bit by getting girlfriends and dealing with that.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure if it needs to be "fixed" as it's darn good as it is. Maybe tweaked a little. I like the girl characters but Pria (and I'm guessing Pria was introduced more as a plot device to get Penny and Leonard back together). Not sure really what needs to be fixed...less Sheldon centric episodes perhaps?

Oh yeah, and more Penny, less clothes, I agree with that one too. And I think same should go with Bernadette :)

12. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Get rid of Pria and bring the Penny - Leonard romantic dynamic back. It's probably going there anyway but I'm tired of Pria in the meantime. The other girls have added to the show.

What about more Wil Wheaton as the recurring character that tweaks the guys and tries for Penny?

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I hope not. I really don't like Wil Wheaton. He makes my skin crawl.

14. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Yes at this point give Raj a pill that activates his brains ability to talk to women.

I don't mind the girls and I really like AFF she is a more likeable "Sheldon".

15. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Yeah he does have that quality but I think it would be hilarious if he was given an honorary doctorate by the university and insisted on being called 'Doctor Wheaton' by the guys.

16. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    The laugh track bugs me to no end.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I loved the whole Will Wheaton / Sheldon thing so, while he is creepy, I would like more eps with him being Sheldon's nemesis.

I like Raj, but I agree with everybody about the 'unable to talk to girls' thing. It's kind of dumb. When he is just being himself I think he's funny and the stuff with his parents is funny also (via skype, or whatever that is).

I don't know what else I'd change since, although I did just finish watching all 3 first seasons for the first time last week, I'm pretty new to the scene. Love the show and am also wondering what the Leonard squinting deal is.

18. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    This is the only thing about this show I don't like. I think this season has been brilliant.

19. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    To me the core of the show is the Penny and Sheldon relationship. Fostering that is one of the reasons the show has become as succesful as it is.

I certainly would not do anything to inhibit that. I certainly was not a big fan of Blossom's character at first, but I think the girl entourage tends to balance out the show now, which is essentially the Penny and Sheldon relationship show and everyone else plays a supporting role.

I realize the show was much different at first, but it has grown and adapted to its strengths, so it is not the first show it was in season 1, and people who were more prominent have been pushed back.

Reducing Penny's role would be a massive mistake.

20. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    They need to put some actual lenses in Johnny Galecki's glasses.