How would I setup a TiVo BOLT VOX and 2 VOX Mini's using MoCA for my room configurations?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TDP95, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TDP95

TDP95 New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Hi,

We recently purchased a new home, and will be moving in shortly. We are about to get cable setup by Spectrum. After looking into what STB to go with, it appears TiVo will be cheaper overall than renting from Spectrum.

We are looking to get TV in the living room, master bedroom, and a second bedroom using a BOLT VOX and 2 VOX Mini's. It appears MoCA is the best way to connect things. However, the modem and router will be in the master bedroom, and if possible would like the BOLT VOX in the living room. To my understanding, the BOLT VOX will need to be near a router as Ethernet is required for it to be the MoCA host? Is it at all possible to use the WiFi on the BOLT VOX for this? Or, will the BOLT VOX and tuning adapter need to be in the master bedroom?

Lastly, the master bedroom has only one coax outlet. Would I use a three way splitter for the tuning adapter, TiVo, and modem from the wall to use MoCA?

I'm also completely open to suggestions if there's a better way to connect this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The BOLT *would* need an Ethernet connection to use its built-in MoCA bridge as your main MoCA/Ethernet bridge; however, to satisfy your device location preferences, you could just use a standalone MoCA adapter at the modem/router location as your main MoCA bridge, then configure the BOLT VOX in the Living Room as a MoCA client, the same as you’ll do for the Minis.

Add’l notes:
    • A MoCA adapter with RF pass-through could simplify setup, connecting the modem to the adapter’s pass-through port. (See Motorola MM1000, Actiontec ECB6200, goCoax whatsit).
    • You’ll need a “PoE” MoCA filter at the cable point-of-entry to your home (often in an outside junction box), to secure and strengthen your MoCA signals. Optimally, the “PoE” MoCA filter is installed on the input of the first split encountered by the cable signal.
    • You’ll need to use a 2-way splitter at the BOLT location to connect the BOLT and Tuning Adapter directly to the coax, rather than connecting the BOLT via the TA’s TV/STB Out pass-through, as this port severely attenuates MoCA signals. (edit: Oh, it’s also recommended to install a separate MoCA filter directly on the TA’s input, to protect the TA from MoCA signals.)
    • With the BOLT VOX networked only as a MoCA client, you can leverage its otherwise-unused Ethernet port (and built-in MoCA bridging) to supply a wired Ethernet connection to one or more Ethernet-capable devices co-located with the BOLT. You’ll need to configure the BOLT as a MoCA client first, then can connect the other device to the BOLT’s Ethernet port or use a network switch if multiple devices could benefit.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    You will also need at least one MoCA filter/POE filter, possibly more. A good source for MoCA filters and true MoCA rated splitters, is here, Cable and Satellite Tools - Distributor of Tools for CATV, Satellite, Home Theater, Security, Telecom
    If you want more flexability, a separate MoCA adapter, mentioned by krkaufman can be found here, https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Ada...eway&sprefix=moca+,aps,178&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
    or the newest version, not fully tested IMO, https://www.gocoax.com/
    You seem to be wanting the newest and most "advanced" Tivos, but if you are interested in a move "value" purchase, there is a ready market for used/older Tivos like the Roamio Pro/Plus versions as well as older series minis.

4. TDP95

TDP95 New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Hello,

Thank you both for your assistance!

I have decided to go with the 1TB BOLT VOX through the $0 down deal. I also purchased 2 Mini VOXs, and the POE filter.

I'll see if the Spectrum tech that will come out will assist with installing the POE filter. If not, I'll just install it myself.

We've decided to set up the BOLT VOX in the master bedroom, so it's in the same room as the modem, and router. Then, it should be pretty simple to make it a MoCA bridge.

Thanks again. The equipment should be arriving soon, and we'll see how everything comes together.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, for the reason mentioned above.