How Will The Tivo Service Stop?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Automan, May 31, 2011.

What Will Happen On June 1st

Poll closed Jun 5, 2011.
  1. Nothing

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. Dialup Number Will Stop Working

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. No More Updated Guide Data

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Software Update To Change Tivo Operation

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. As 4 But It Bricks Upgraded Discs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Account Status Set To Closed

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  7. Network Or Dialup Calls Fail To Find Server

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...

Advertisements

Only a few hours now to go so time for a poll to guess how the end will happen...

EDIT:
    refers to the previous poll question but the software update bricks any upgraded large Tivo disk.

Automan.

2. mutant_matt2

mutant_matt2 New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Question is, anybody who has an upgraded disc, is probably also the kind of person that will pull the plug on the connections to TiVo no later than today...

3. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Quite a few users have used different numbers for their daily call, and those are UUNET numbers not in TiVo's direct control. Not sure if the main one is a TiVo or UUNET number.

So I suspect (3) : No more guide data, together with a final "So long and thanks for all the fish" message.

4. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    I suspect dial up users will get a message saying the service has closed but nothing nasty, then after a couple of weeks the line will be disconnected, after which time any UK series ones connecting via network may be disabled, but hopefully all will be on the AltEPG by then anyway.

5. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England

Advertisements

I reckon the dialup numbers will go off and the EPG and/or clock servers too.

I've just unplugged the network lead from mine following a successful call this morning.
    It was the quickest way to stop any potential hassle before I set it up for the AltEPG at some point.
    I know I could have changed the default gateway with nic_config and rebooted but I can just plug the lead back in when I need network access and as long as it doesn't coincide with a scheduled call it won't need any other effort. It was seeing 90 days of uptime in the Daily Mail that did it :)
    Gosh that sounds lazy ;)

6. digital_S

digital_S New Member

May 15, 2002
    Kent/Scotlan...
    Technically, most of those options will probably happen...

First the "Dialup Number Will Stop Working" which means "No More Updated Guide Data" and "Network Or Dialup Calls Fail To Find Server".

Then there may or may not be a "Software Update To Change Tivo Operation" (but doubt it, as we've not had any software update for what, roughly 10 years?)

Hopefully it won't "Brick Upgraded Discs" and finally "Account Status Set To Closed"

All a bit depressing, isn't it!

7. regdor

regdor New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Two weeks ago i bought the Humax and pulled the phone out of Tivo so i no longer care!! When we have watched the "Now Playing" backlog Tivo will be skipped. Apart from upgrading the hard drive twice it is a plain old Tivo, no internet access. I really cannot be bothered investigating Altepg despite loving Tivo.

The Humax manual is rubbish and we have spent two weeks trying to work out what the hell the logic is behind some of the software design. (design is too kind a word, really a group of techie kids threw everything at it just because they could. No one ever asked what the end user wanted to do in "normal" life.)

To be fair the Humax has features the Tivo did not have and IMHO it gives a better picture than Sky/Tivo but worse sound. As i will only have one box instead of two it is also a neater solution. I am sure a modern Tivo would thrash the pants off the Humax but such is life!
    Anyway good luck to those who persist in trying to keep Tivo series 1 alive and thanks to all the posters over the years. I rarely posted but often dipped into the forum to see what was going on. The knowledge and enthusiame shown, and fair minded arguments put forward were a pleasure to read.

8. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Er, you realise all you have to do is type a phone number into a box in settings?

9. velocitysurfer1

velocitysurfer1 Proud S1lifer

Sep 6, 2006
    De11
    Don't skip the TiVo !!! Someone on here will take it off your hands.

10. Furball

Furball Totally TiVo

Dec 6, 2001
    Hampshire...
    :eek: but its just a number change in the dial prefix box during the guided setup and away you go again :up: :cool:

Currently the number is a little errrr over loaded :D mainly due to all the TiVos needing a full EPG download again, like the first time you ever fired up TiVo, once its done that then its back down to the normal 5-10min call time :cool:

Furball

11. warrenrb

warrenrb Quiet Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Belfast
    I predict at 6pm tonight, there will be a TiVo Rapture, where our TiVos will rip free from their TV sets and drift up into TiVo Heaven, leaving Sky+ units to burn in telly hell. :)

12. michael401

michael401 Member

May 20, 2011
    ^ Add it to the poll, i wanna vote for that one :D

13. abaker

abaker New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    My daily call completed normally at "Wednesday 1st Jun at 00:31" and I now have guide data to "Monday 20th Jun 2011". I'm unplugging now, and will configure AltEPG in the next week or two. <RANT>I'm having absolute HELL getting VM to install at my house, despite many calls to their customer service team. Incompetent fools is being generous to the 9 people I've spoken to so far.</RANT>

14. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    Are you a new customer? If so, Virgin TiVo is exclusive to existing customers at this time.

15. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    @abaker - TBH, VM are very hot and cold for me. They have some excellent people who go the whole nine yards, and there are the jobsworths.

Just say "I have a problem with my TiVo" when calling - say it repeatedly and you'll get through to the good folk. In my experience, being *assured* rather than forceful or aggressive works well.

16. abaker

abaker New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    TiVo customer since 2001, but (I guess) a VM customer since they took £199 from my bank account last week for the new box. When it'll be available to use is anyone's guess, I'm once again on hold with their "field manager". I'll try the "assured" route this time! BTW, anyone bricked or otherwise had anything changed to prevent our trusty S1's from working normally?

17. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    iirc, my vtivo charge wasn't taken until my first bill post installation.

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Anyone care to alter their vote in the light of today's continued official EPG service for S1 Tivos.:up::up::up:

19. afrokiwi

afrokiwi Member

Oct 6, 2001
    Den Haag,...
    the day is not over yet

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I reckon that even if the 0808 dialup number is soon cutoff those of us with network card access may continue to enjoy service because it is probably supported by precisely the same raw Tribune UK EPG data feed as that used by the new Virgin Premiere Tivo....

Also even if the official 0808 number is cut off there are always those other UUNet Pop numbers that could be used instead in the Dial Prefix field.....