How well does Roamio work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Edwil55, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Edwil55

Edwil55 New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Currently have DTV, am ready to drop it very soon and seriously looking at buying a Tivo Roamio, hopefully thru a good Black Friday sale. About 12 years ago, had a Tivo with DTV and loved it.

Reading many of the reviews here, Tivo seems to be very buggy. Wondering if that is the case for most owners or simply the fact that people who are happy with it and works fine, don't post to forums like this. What I'm seeing here are just the problems and maybe overall is a small amount??

Can anyone comment overall is it worth buying to use for OTA recording of local stations?

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    By far the best DVR on the market for OTA - commercial skip, 4 tuners, integrated streaming apps and global search, great whole home capability, the list goes on. If you liked Tivo before, you'll love it now.

Everything these days has bugs. DTV was very buggy as well back when I had it. Dish was even more buggy.

New UI isn't so much buggy as missing features that were in the old version, but stuff most newbies would never notice or miss. For example, the biggest thing missing from the new UI is a guide view that you never had on DTV and won't miss when you get Tivo. Besides, you can always roll back to the old UI if the new one is too buggy for you.

DTV has had the same old crappy interface for years. At least Tivo is trying to keep up with the times and adding value along the way.

3. jim8650

jim8650 Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    I absolutely love mine coupled with a Mohu Leaf indoor antenna

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It will be a great DVR for that. Are there a lot of antenna in your area? Where are you located? If you go to tvguide.com and enter your zipcode, it will show you a lineup that should match TiVo since they both use the same database.

PCurry57 likes this.
  5. Edwil55

Edwil55 New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    I can receive about 13 local stations ( I live in a fairly small media market) which is all four networks and their alternative stations which is all I'm mainly interested in anyway. 95% of everything we record is on one of the networks. There are some other stations locally, maybe with an amplifier could get more, but not overly concerned if not.

I have a Clearstream @ antenna BTW

PCurry57 likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I wish I had OTA ability, but it is sort of impossible where I live.

TV Fool

7. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I have 2 Roamio OTA. One at my Lake cabin and one my mom uses. We have 40 some OTA channels in Tulsa but only 28 that we use. It works great for OTA. I was fortunate that I have internet for the guide, out at the lake or I would have had to continue with my old DTv Pal dvr or a channelmaster dvr+ so I could use the psip guide data from each of the local stations.

PCurry57 likes this.
  8. johnpowers

johnpowers Member

Nov 6, 2016
    I just got my Roamio OTA with a TiVo Mini for another room and love it. Was using Dish. I did sign up for the $20 Sling package to get ESPN and and couple of more channels we like. We already had Netflix. I like the Roamio OTA because it has lifetime guide subscription. Even if I replace the Roamio every few years, I will save thousands.

9. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I'm considering the same thing as Edwil55 but some issues give me pause, namely the Hydra update, Directv has in fact just updated their GUI and it is a disaster, worst part being a dark shade obscuring the lower portion of the screen during FFW/Rew but I see that same shade with Tivo-Hydra on various Youtube videos.

I also see the channel banner on the lower portion of the screen, can that be moved?

When I had Directv Tivo R10 the fast forward was smooth, better than the Genie, is it still superior on the current Tivo's? I wish someone on Youtube could show all speeds of fast forward especially during a sports game.

I would miss the 1 hour and 30 minute live buffer on the Genie but as long as Tivo would allow me to avoid Hydra until hopefully they improved it (currently yes but for how long?) and the dvr components remained above the Directv Genie, well it would make it easier to make the switch to cable.

PCurry57 likes this.
  10. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    My first TiVo experience was the Hughes DirecTiVo, loved it.

Then I upgraded to the HR21 talk about buggy. Eventually I upgraded the second DirecTivo with an HR23 and I beta tested Whole Home before DECA was available.

Every update especially when adding features has the risk of introducing bugs. Yes the latest TiVo update introduced some bugs. Eventually they will be fixed.

Sent from my SM-T817P using Tapatalk

11. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Hydra is optional!

Sent from my SM-T817P using Tapatalk

12. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I'm going on year 4 with my roamio and couldn't be without it. Even though i am paying because it is a cable/ota unit it is still half the price of a cable box. Waiting for tomorrow i believe for the sale to pick up a new 1tb roamio. Of course i have had minor hiccups along the way but that is expected with any computer product. Take the plunge..

13. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Works great!

14. Edwil55

Edwil55 New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    I was thinking of doing the same with Sling for sports on ESPN, but have found some pretty reliable streaming sights that give you access to everything you'd have on ESPN. I may change my mind afterwards, but initially will start without it.

15. Edwil55

Edwil55 New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    So if I get a new TIVO, will it initially have Hrdra as that's the current and I'd need to roll it back? Or will it give me an option on initial setup as to which version t oinstall?

16. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006
    My recent experience with a new TiVo Bolt is that it will install Hydra but you can easily roll it back.

17. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I never noticed, but you can hide overlays with Clear button anytime if they don't disappear quickly enough for you.

No. But you can dismiss if 1 second is too long.

Seems pretty smooth to me.

Reports are you can avoid it indefinitely. But you'd be missing out on some nice new features.

IMO the Hydra gripes are much ado about nothing. It's essentially the same functionality as the old (minus Live Guide) with a different skin. I use both and much prefer Hydra as it add a lot of nice touches like streaming shortcuts, progress bars in thumbnails, faster auto-dismiss of info overlays, more consistent/intuitive operation, more show info and eye candy. However, I never really liked the old interface in the first place.

tim1724 likes this.
  18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, last I heard.

19. Edwil55

Edwil55 New Member

Jan 24, 2016
    So I bought the Roamio today as Amazon lowered to price to $299, supposed to arrive on Sunday. I want to also get a Mini but that was still listed at $169 which has been the price for quite awhile. I figure I'll wait till at least Monday and see if that gets any cheaper, if not will but it then.

Just to verify since I have the Roamio with lifetime, I don't need to pay for any extra subscription costs for the Mini correct. I can watch/use one of the tuners on the Roamio to watch either live TV or something that was recorded earlier correct?

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Correct, no extra charge and you only need a host tuner for real time TV. A recording or streaming does not require a tuner.