How usable is the "out of home streaming" from the Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by kcantrell, Mar 31, 2017.

1. kcantrell

kcantrell Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm considering upgrading my TiVo HD, which is currently connected to an old Slingbox ProHD, to a new TiVo Bolt, so I can take advantage of the lifetime service transfer that is being offered right now. Since the Bolt doesn't have composite or component outputs, I won't be able to use the Slingbox anymore, without paying for a Mini, or other hardware (HDMI splitter + HDMI to Composite converter), so the question is, will I be able to reliably use the "out of home" streaming feature that the TiVo Bolt is supposed to have?

I've seen a few complaints that the Android client doesn't work very well, and hasn't been updated in a while. I've also read that, for some crazy reason, you can only stream to a PC if you are on the same network as your TiVo (I saw a workaround to that, using a Linux server and proxy redirect, which I could do, but I question how reliable that would be).

I love the way the Slingbox is able to stream video with minimal bandwidth if it has to (e.g. you are in a hotel with bad Internet access). How well does TiVo handle a slow or a unreliable connection?

So, before I trash my TiVo HD, by transferring its license away, I want to know what I am getting myself into regarding streaming remotely, a feature I really like having.

2. Apr 6, 2017 #2 of 28
    ChurchillWS

ChurchillWS New Member

Jan 25, 2017
    It's not great, but somewhat useable. I had a better experience using the FiOS app, but technically that's not supposed to allow you to stream outside your network.

It is correct that you cannot stream on a PC outside of your network or at least I haven't been able to yet.

I think I am on a reliable connection and it still stutters a bit.

I am streaming the shows from my LG V410 tablet on Kit Kat.

3. Apr 6, 2017 #3 of 28
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Seeing that you're in TX, if you're a Time Warner customer, usability might be greatly limited due to their abuse of the copy-once flag.

PCurry57 likes this.
  4. Apr 6, 2017 #4 of 28
    kcantrell

kcantrell Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    By "copy-once" flag, is that the copyright flag that keeps me from transferring to my PC and/or other TiVos in my house? Are you saying that same flag keeps you from streaming it? That would suck, because pretty much the only thing that isn't flagged is network (ABC, CBS, NBS, FOX) shows.

PCurry57 likes this.
  5. Apr 6, 2017 #5 of 28
    tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    what extra costs are incurred implementing Slingbox, from purchase price to any monthly charges etc?
    I too have an HD, and am considering the same thing for the same reason. If it's any solace, the Roamio used to be really good for out of country streaming, albeit one stream per box. However, something happened last fall, and out-of-country streaming became either unavailable or lousy, and no one at Tivo could answer as to why...

6. Apr 6, 2017 #6 of 28
    kcantrell

kcantrell Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The problem is that the Bolt doesn't provide any analog outputs (i.e. no composite or component output). Slingbox depends on one of those as input. The two solutions I've seen to that problem is to either purchase a $150 TiVo Mini, or you can purchase an HDMI splitter, connect one HDMI outputs to your TV and the other to a HDMI to component or composite converter, then connect that to your Slingbox.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Apr 6, 2017 #7 of 28
    tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    right, I understand all that as I own a HD like you do. But what about the costs of operating the Slingbox - how much?

8. Apr 6, 2017 #8 of 28
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Costs? You mean the cost of power? My 350 running 24x7 costs about 40 cents/month in my part of the country.

9. Apr 6, 2017 #9 of 28
    kcantrell

kcantrell Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oh, okay, sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. There are no reoccurring costs with a Slingbox. That is one of the nice things about it. They used to charge for the app ($20 or so), but it looks like they stopped doing that as well. So, you should just have to purchase one of their boxes and be done with it. I've been pretty happy with mine. It has been able to stream video to me over some pretty awful Internet connections.

10. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Yes that's the same copy flag. And actually the more I think about it, I've lost track of Tivo's various iterations of streaming where one thing is allowed and another isn't... In home, out of home, downloading, streaming, copy flag rules, iOS, android. It seems like nothing is ever fully on the same page.

Looking at Tivo's website, it implies Android streaming might work now, but downloading flagged content won't. Previously, not even streaming worked on flagged content. So maybe it's not so bad now.

To answer the original question, Tivo's streaming is kind of "meh". Out of home, your upload speed is of vital importance to even have a chance of a good stream. In home is decent.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    OOH streaming works great with my Android devices from my Bolts(or Romaio Pro). And it doesn't take up much bandwidth. I can watch an hour long program with no issues.

EDIT: BigJimOutlaw I just saw your post. I still can't stream recordings OOH from the restricted channels on FiOS. (Fox owned channels, Cinemax and HBO.) But everything else works great.

12. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    Cool. Which Slingbox model are you using to be able to stream from outside the country?

13. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    :up: Ok, then Time Warner users are still screwed in that case, at least for out of home.

14. kcantrell

kcantrell Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm using a old Slingbox Pro HD. I'm pretty sure they don't sell that one anymore. I would recommend the Slingbox M2. It is only $99 (plus shipping and taxes).

As far as out of the country, that shouldn't matter, unless the country you are in is blocking "slingbox.com". Pretty much anywhere you can access slingbox.com and your home network (slingbox.com will redirect to your home network for you) you should be fine.

15. kcantrell

kcantrell Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So, Time Warner (a.k.a. Spectrum) users will not be able to stream copy protected shows? While that sucks, it should be okay for me, since 99% of the time I am simply watching standard network channels anyway.

16. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    and the beauty of this method, is that premium channels aren't blocked, or flagged, as they're being output from the Tivo's component outputs, correct?

17. kcantrell

kcantrell Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yup! As far as TiVo knows, it is just displaying it to a TV.

18. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    Thanks. I think I'll make sure to keep at least one box with component outs (Premiere or HD) to use internationally, as the recent mess Tivo made of the iOS streaming app leaves me less confident.

19. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    so this would work? Slingbox M2 Sling Media with Internet Stream - Black

and, the Sling has no control with regards to scheduling or deleting programs from the Tivo, correct?

20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015