How To with John Wilson (HBO)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Tony_T, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

How To with John Wilson

Read about this in the NYT (haven’t seen any promo’s)
    Kinda interesting and funny docuseries.

John Wilson attempts to give advice while dealing with his own personal issues. The 25-minute episodes, framed as tutorials and filmed mainly on the streets of New York City, cover topics from small talk to scaffolding. While each episode initially focuses on its title topic, in the course of his investigation, Wilson meets people and strikes up conversations that lead in unpredictable directions. For example, an episode titled "How to Improve Your Memory" ends up featuring a conference on the Mandela effect in Ketchum, Idaho

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    My dad recommended it to me and I found it ok, somewhat enjoyed the low budget aspect of it, but something in the 3 episodes I watched didn't quite click, I will watch all 6.
    In many ways I keep comparing it to a "normal people" World According to Jeff Goldblum without Goldblum's charm.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm enjoying. It's just kind of different and John just kind of tells the story as if he's just having a conversation with you.

kaszeta and Tony_T like this.
  4. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Someone mentioned this show in a thread over in Happy Hour, and I'm enjoying it.

The fourth episode, "How to Cover Your Furniture"...
    had a lot more male nudity than I was expecting from an episode titled "How to Cover Your Furniture"!

5. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009

Advertisements

I like it. The word “journey” is so overused now in so many different contexts, but in this case this show really is a journey that you didn’t even know you were going to take. Every episode start out innocently enough, and it goes off in really crazy ways yet somehow stays connected to what sounded like a boring topic.

Steveknj likes this.
  6. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    What’s boring about scaffolding? ;)

7. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    Not any more boring than small talk or furniture! :D

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Definitely don't go by the episode titles and think...hey, what's interesting about that? A journey is a good description.

9. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I'm kind of enjoying it.

A lot of my coworkers are watching it, simply since two of my coworkers are named... John Wilson. One of whom is a lot like the show's John Wilson.

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    There was a local news reporter/anchor in Tampa by that name. Looks like he retired in 2014.

[​IMG]

11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    S1 Finale
    Risotto (hot wet rice)
    Reminded me of: