How to watch/stream Tivo to my FireTV now that app is pulled/gone?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by m_jonis, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jan 1, 2018 #1 of 21
    m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Well I just got a FireTV (Christmas present) and hooked it up and can't find the Tivo app.

Then I see this:
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-App-for-Amazon-Fire-TV-Use

So I guess no go for me? I still have the app installed on my FireHD tablet (for when I travel it's nice to download to the device and watch on a plane or something).

Looks like Tivo just wants me to fork out some more for their Tivo Mini?

2. Jan 1, 2018 #2 of 21
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Search the internet for the apk. If you can find it, you can sideload it with ES Manager or something like that. Not sure if it still functions though.

Sideloading Chrome on your stick might also work since you could go to the tivo online site and stream from there. I think Chrome would also require that you pair a bluetooth mouse.

You should still be able to download shows to your tablet.

In any case, Mini works a whole lot better than the app ever did. Somebody recently posted some Minis for sale for $75.

3. Jan 1, 2018 #3 of 21
    m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Thanks. Apparently sideloading on the Fire Stick/TV just crashes.
    Chrome/FF/Silk/browser all suck (IMO) as the Tivo "app" for that is truly horrendous (even on my PC you get severe pixelation, it's just horrible).

Looks like tablet download may still work provided you don't have the updated one (or Amazon puts the latest one up). Looks like you have to install Google Play on your Fire HD and use that version to get it to work.

I'm not giving Tivo any more money. If I didn't have lifetime on all my stuff, I'd be getting rid of things left and right. The guide fiasco still continues (I've shelled out probably $200 for having to purchase individual episodes or pay for Hulu/etc to get all the ones the Tivo has missed ever since Rovi took over and screwed up the guide data). Their inability to get things right makes me think their days are numbered.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to return the Fire TV and start looking at the Verizon box for the other TV.

4. Jan 1, 2018 #4 of 21
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No matter how much I disliked Tivo, I wouldn't give the cable company a dime to rent a box. Several months of rental fees would pay for a Mini. Tivo is still the least of all evils IMO.

By the way, Slingbox works way better than the Tivo app ever did, but it's a bit more clunky to control. I use it all over the world.

5. Jan 4, 2018 #5 of 21
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yeah I'm not getting how paying $100 or so for a Mini is a bad option. Don't get me wrong it sucks that Tivo abandoned the Fire but the app was crap compared to the Mini experience anyway.

mdavej likes this.
  6. Apr 9, 2019 #6 of 21
    pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002
    Try using a mini away from home.

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I think the implication was that the OP was intending to use the app to stream to a Fire TV inside his home, in which case a Mini works much better. One could also say good luck trying to stream from a Tivo to a Fire TV outside the home, so also no better than a Mini. But the whole thread is moot now that a new Fire TV app is imminent.

8. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    I must be missing something. How does the Fire TV app help me stream TiVo OOH?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    It won't, given Tivo's history. Or let's just say if it does it will perform badly.

10. Dmontgummy

Dmontgummy Member

Jul 31, 2002
    I am a little confused. I have a Kindle Fire that I currently use the TiVo app on to watch shows on my TiVo when I am away from home. I was thinking about getting a Fire TV stick because I assumed that I could put a TiVo app on there to watch my shows on a bigger screen. Does this mean that getting a Fire TV stick would be useless for streaming my shows from my TiVo at home?
    Is there any recommended way to watch shows or live TV using my TiVo app when I am away from home?

11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    At the moment, yes a Fire stick would be useless for that. But a new app is coming in a few months. Until then you'll have to make do with mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) or a Slingbox.

Dmontgummy likes this.
  12. dougtv

dougtv New Member

May 20, 2015
    I sideload apps to my Fire stick. Anybody know id there a TiVo apk that has most functionality working for the fireTV remote without any mouse/touch third party app or modding required?

13. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Nope.

14. Goodbar_x

Goodbar_x New Member

Sep 17, 2016
    Is there really a new Tivo app coming for fire TV?

15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
  16. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I can use screen mirroring to watch on my fire stick by running the TiVo app on my samsung s9+ and mirroring screen to the fire stick. (Controls for turning on screen mirroring are buried pretty deep on both the first stick and the samsung, but it does seem to work well to mirror the terrible problems the TiVo app has and sometimes actually watch shows :).

17. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
  18. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    How can you say that about TiVo? They whipped out the drive free space meter in just under 15 years...

19. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Not sure what you mean.

20. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    It was nasty sarcasm. It took TiVo over a decade and hundreds of suggestions to add:

df -k --output=pcent /dev/sda1