How to watch already recorded shows on Tivo3 after cord-cutting

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by megory, Sep 17, 2020.

1. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

Tomorrow, I'm leaving Spectrum for internet only WoW!
    I have a 1T HD with many shows I want to watch and have always assumed I could.

1. What should I do, how should I move connections so I can watch those old shows?

2. Also, I'm inclined to fiddle around around. I have internet only (I haven't signed up for TV--I need to cut down on $$ and Spectrum has been almost $140 for basic cable--no premium) as well as Roku. I will probably see if there's any way I can get station through WOW, and would have to probably re-setup. If I do that will it mess up shows already recorded? Is there any hookups I should avoid? I don't want to accidentally delete.

I have a Series 3 and have had Tivo since about 2002.

Any other advice? Is there another Tivo that would be good with Roku. I am on a very fixed, low level SS, so I'm pretty limited, but heart broken to go into the wild, disorganized, non Tivo world.

Thanks!
    Megory

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo does not merge with Roku, they are totally separate and should be on separate inputs.

What about antenna for TV? At least its free. Depending on your area, you can get a few or alot of channels.

Running Guided Setup does not delete anything already recorded or the passes still there. You would have to do that when changing your TV source.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    megory likes this.
  3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You do not have to do anything at all to continue watching those recorded shows. If you can play them today, you will still be able to play them when the evil cable company is gone.

If you want to try and use an antenna with that S3, then you do need to re-run guided setup, but that won't affect your existing recordings, nor does it require any changes in how your TiVo is connected to your TV,

megory likes this.
  4. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Yay! So I can keep all the same connections and watch pre-recorded Tivo, and use Roku the rest of the time. I do think I shouldn't have the cable (WoW!) coming into Tivo but rather the TV?

I'm not ready for an antenna, although that was my original idea a few years ago. As an internet only subscriber, I will keep using my Roku on both TVs.

Cable company continues while a rude employee seeks to hook me up. A 20 year way of life is ending. Boo hoo.

Thanks very much for your input, I appreciate it!

M

5. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

I do not know why you would have the "cable" connected to anything now. If y ou do not have cable service, and you do not have an antenna, what is the "cable" connected to?

I do not know where you live, but I really think you should consider trying a cheap indoor antenna just to see if you can pick up any signals easily. Go to Walmart or an big-box store and buy any indoor antenna. If you think you might be in a weak signal area far from any transmitters, choose an amplified antenna; this shouldn't cost more that $40 - $50, and much cheaper options are available. Connect that antenna directly to your TV (for this test, do not use the TiVo) and do a channel scan. If it does not find anything you can watch, just take the antenna back.

BUT, if you can receive some channels, come back and tell us your zip code and how many channels your TV found, and we can easily advise you on how to set up an indoor antenna with your TiVo without any trouble at all.

megory likes this.
  6. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    The cable is so I have internet and WiFi!
    Also, for some reason thought TVs needed it for Roku. I am hearing clearly from you, that I do not. Thanks.
    I will consider an antenna at some time in the future and will contact you with questions! <g>
    Thanks

7. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    If you get your Internet from a cable provider, the only place that the cable needs to go now is directly to the cable modem. All other devices in your home that stream from the Internet need to be connected to Ethernet, not a cable. (Of course, if you use MoCA for part of your home network, that would be a totally different discussion.)

Your Roku does need an internet connection (either Ethernet or wireless) to your home network, but it does not rely on any "cable" connected to your TV. Even if you have a newer "Smart" TV that has built-in apps for streaming, the TV would need the same type of network connection as the Roku does to use those apps, and that is not any type of antenna cable.