How to use old tivo drive for pc secondary

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ned30, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ned30

ned30 New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    i have recently opened up an old tivo of my brother-in laws that he was in collections with and could no longer use.My question is , i have taken out the hard drive and put it into my pc (dell4600 2.8Ghz 1G ram) as a slave to the master and i think the jumper settings are set correctly......Master is set at CS and Tivo drive is set to slave.
    What must i do for this drive to show up in windows or how do i format it???

2. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    I'm assuming you have XP.

Right click on My Computer and select Manage.

Click on Disk Management.

You should see the drive show up on the left. Right click on it and select partition. Then format. Not sure of the exact commands as I don't have a spare drive to do it with.

This should make it show up.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You have the master set as CS, which is cable select. This works just fine in a single drive PC. But, unless the ribbon cable that is used actually has that functionality, adding another drive won't necessarily work. You can tell by looking at the ribbon cable. If there a few wires that have been swapped just before the last connector then it is a CS cable. So, if the cable is CS, then set the TiVo drive to CS as well. Otherwise, you may need to set the original drive from CS to Master and the TiVo drive to slave. Then you need to format that drive for use in the PC.

4. ned30

ned30 New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    thanks guys that helped