How to use laptop as bridge to TiVo from Hotspot

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TuneGuy!, Apr 29, 2006.

1. TuneGuy!

TuneGuy! New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas

Advertisements

I would like to take my Series 2 standalone TiVo with me next time I go out in my RV for a long trip (I take my Dish Network satellite system from home). I need to provide for TiVo's guide updates, which I do via Ethernet at home.

I expect to pay for WiFi access in most campgrounds. In most cases I will need to log on to the WiFi provider's access page before I can get onto the Internet, and TiVo can't do that so I'll have to use the laptop as an intermediary. Does anyone here know what I need to do to set up my Windows XP laptop, which has integrated a/b/g wireless plus USB and ethernet ports, to pass on the WiFi connection to my TiVo after I've logged on to the WiFi provider? I have an Ethernet adapter for the TiVo.

I am aware of a Linksys device specifically designed to share wifi access, the WTR54GS ($80), but the reviews are not great and I wonder if there is a way to make my laptop the intermediary?

Would something like this work?

Thanks.

2. TuneGuy!

TuneGuy! New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Anybody?

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Just conenct ethernet directly from the TiVo to your laptop, andd have your laptop log onto the network.

4. TuneGuy!

TuneGuy! New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    classicsat, do you mean without using the Windows bridging procedure, or with? I've now tried both and can't get it to work either way, but I had a good bit of trouble getting it set up right to update through my LAN, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Has anyone tried to do something like this?

5. whlabus

whlabus New Member

Jun 22, 2006

Advertisements

I use the Windows bridging option and it works fine. I have a PS2 in my room and it's the only way I can play online.

TuneGuy!- I followed the instructions of the link that you posted and it worked fine. However, it only worked on my Gateway notebook computer that has built in 802.11g WIFI. I also tried it on a much older Toshiba notebook and could not get it to work at all, however, this might have been due to a broken ethernet port.

Also, when you followed the instructions for bridging the ethernet and wireless adapters, did you scroll down to the bottom of that webpage to where it says 'Troubleshooting a Wireless Bridge' ? I bridged my connections, but only after making the adjustments in that section of the tutorial did it then work.

Anyway, if you want I'll give you the exact procedure I used.

6. gravely101

gravely101 New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    That method sounds smart, instead of buying a wireless bridge

7. daniels2386

daniels2386 New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    correct

8. greathera77

greathera77 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    I am trying to do this, but during the setup it gets as far as connecting and says its negotiating and then says service not found. The internet connection is strong on my laptop. What am I doing wrong? Any help for me?