How to use a tivo series 2 with the new xfinity sd box

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bobcat250, Feb 23, 2017.

1. bobcat250

bobcat250 New Member

Feb 23, 2017

Advertisements

My Pioneer Elite Tivo series 2 (with the built in DVD burner) has served me well for several years. With the older Comcast Motorola boxes it worked fine. Now, Comcast forced us to upgrade to the new Xfinity boxes which are totally different. The box I now have has only cable in/out connections; my older Motorola had the usual cable in/out along with HDMI and composite video outputs. These don't exist on the new box.

With the older box, I had the composite connections going to Tivo's composite inputs, then to the composite outputs to my VCR which then fed to the TV set. In that way, I could record both on the Tivo or VCR.

How can I setup my (admittedly) older Tivo series 2 to work with this new cable box? Comcast mentioned something about a "cable card" but I don't believe my Tivo is new enough for that.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Cable wise you need an HDMI to composite converter something like this from Amazon.

If you old Series 2 TiVo can change the channels on your new cable STB is another matter/question.

Good Luck!

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm a bit confused on the output connection that the cable box has--is it a coax connection out? (If that's the case, I was thinking that that would go to the TiVo coax in, but I'm just guessing here, and I have zip experience with cable boxes--although am using an analog-digital OTA signal converter box with my own Series 2 TiVo, but which connects to the TiVo via composite cables, like the OP's original setup, and with an infrared blaster from the TiVo controlling the converter box.)

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If your new cable box has an RF cable out on some ch (I don't think so) that you could go the way you said RF cable box to RF in TiVo, if not you will need the HDMI to component or composite converter.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008

Advertisements

Comcast has a special digital to analog cable box that will work with the series 2. I think you can get the first one for free.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Very good mention of the presumed need for analog input to the Series 2 TiVo (but I don't have a Pioneer Elite TiVo Series 2--although my Toshiba TiVo Series 2 requires analog input--and I don't know what Comcast is doing).

7. bobcat250

bobcat250 New Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Many thanks to all who have taken the time to reply to my post. Reading atmuscarella's first reply, I was about to let him know that the box had only cable in/out connections. However, after careful re-examination, I then realized that, yes, it actually did have an HDMI output. Bearing that in mind, I'm first going to attempt his suggestion for the HDMI to composite video converter (thanks, atmuscarella, for posting the link) and give that a try. Failing that, I may have to simply give up and resign myself to not having the ability to record on my Tivo ever again.

I appreciate shwru980r's suggestion about the digital to analog cable box from Comcast; I'll have to look more into that as I'm not familiar with that offer.

I did have a chat session with a Comcast rep, informing them of my Series 2 Tivo, and they recommended something called a "cable card". However, my further investigation determined the Series 2 Tivo is not new enough to utilize this card. A Series 3 unit is required.

Again, many thanks to all for your generous help.

atmuscarella likes this.
  8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    When Comcast went all digital they gave out two digital to analog cable boxes to people that wanted to use an old analog TVs, after two years they started charging for these boxes, but I think you can still get one, a friend is using his old Series 2 with the IR blaster on Comcast with the digital to analog cable box, but each area of Comcast may be different as to having the digital to analog cable box available. You must check, its called a DAC (I think) and the cost is about $3 to $4 /month to rent.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Can those old digital to analog converter boxes handle H.264 broadcasts? or where they only able to handle MPEG 2?

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Are the SD channels going to H.264? as the DAC only work on the SD channels.

11. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No idea I am not in Comcast area and keep reading here that everything was going to h.264 except locals - if Comcast's new STBs don't have analog outputs will they even continue to broadcast SD versions of channels? What would be the point?

12. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I would guess space for recordings on any DVR, but you do make a good point, I am on Comcast and got the letter about the switch to H.264 for January 2017, so far I have not seen that switch, I will look tonight, but SD is still coming in on chs. under 1000.