How to uninstall Hydra from Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Shalamar, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Shalamar

Shalamar New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I just got off the phone with TiVo support, there is a hidden downgrade option in the help menus Here are the instructions they just emailed me.

"To downgrade a DVR from TiVo Experience 4 to TiVo Experience 3:
    From HOME, Choose MENU > HELP > RESET TO DEFAULTS > REPEAT GUIDED SETUP
    Repeat Guided Setup screen where the customer will need to enter the backdoor code.
    From the Repeat Guided Setup screen, enter the following Backdoor Code:
    Press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Rewind, Rewind on the remote control to display the Downgrade Your TiVo Box
    screen.
    Tip: If the backdoor code does not initiate the Downgrade Your TiVo Box screen, [Restart or Power cycle the DVR].

2. After entering the code, the Downgrade Your TiVo Box screen appears."

I am not responsible for any loss of data. As I understand this wipes all data & recordings...

Good Luck
    Shalamar

zangetsu likes this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. Shalamar

Shalamar New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Here is the full guide.

gor88, zubinh, zangetsu and 2 others like this.
  4. joeskig

joeskig New Member

May 29, 2019
    Bought a new Bolt OTA to replace my Roamio that had a meltdown. Tried to do a downgrade of the UI and it would not respond to the sequence posted above. After almost 2 weeks of working with tech support and replacing the box once, we came to the conclusion that it does not work on a brand new Bolt OTA. Just letting you all know. I gave up on pursuing this issue but I let TiVo know that I'm more than willing to assist in debugging this limitation.

Puppy76 likes this.
  5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There's been a post in another thread from Tivo_Ted that states the Bolt OTA is not downgradable from TE4 (Hydra) since it was only ever tested and prepped with TE4
    I'd suggest that some CSRs don't yet have that info or are making assumptions it's like other Bolts.

Bolt OTA will not convert to HD menus

Puppy76 likes this.
  6. joeskig

joeskig New Member

May 29, 2019
    Thanks Diane. I went thru a bunch of threads on this subject but I guess I missed that posting. Sounds like TiVo needs to update the CSR debug procedure for this issue to include that question. I did tell them multiple times that it's a Bolt OTA. I suspected it was either that or some software change that had made it stop working.

7. Jun 1, 2019 #7 of 25
    George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    If you uninstall Hydra from a TiVo Bolt and go back to TE3 will you lose all your recordings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jun 1, 2019 #8 of 25
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep. The way to ameliorate this: transfer the recordings to another TiVo box first and then back after; or to your PC and then back after, using pyTivo Desktop/pyTivo.

9. Aug 6, 2019 #9 of 25
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Just got a new Bolt (Summer Sale) and am trying to roll back from Hydra. I've tried the codes and nothing happens. I've rebooted, power-cycled, nada. Thumbs Down twice followed by Rewind twice. I've also tried pressing Select or Enter after - nothing happens. Any thoughts?

10. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Is it the OTA version? That has been reported as not able to roll back to TE3.

11. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I use it for cable. I'm guessing the OTA version doesn't do cable? Or does it?

12. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Is it a VOX? Take the batteries out of the remote, then use another remote in IR mode to do the down grade.

13. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks for the suggestion - good idea - didn't work though :(

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A cable able TiVo has a connector for the cable card. An OTA TiVo does not unless added by an end user.

During Guided Setup you may be asked to choose between cable and antenna. That is not a reliable indicator.

15. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    It's a cable tivo using a cable card.

I'm on the phone with customer support now. Based on the way the conversation is going, I don't have high hopes for a lot of help on the call, but I'll post back when the call ends.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ok, next way to mess with it. Repeat guided setup for OTA. Wait until the guide has been built (about 30 minutes). Then try to roll back. Try a few times.

17. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    The c/s rep I had told me to do what I already did. I insisted on a supervisor and after a 10 minute wait she came on.. She wasn't really familiar with the procedure, but she looked it up and got a remote in front of her. Turns out the procedure is: Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Left Arrow, Left Arrow. Now what really annoys me is that I actually tried that, but I tried it before rebooting the box. After rebooting I kept trying with the rewind button, which every post or set of instructions I've read says to use.

Anyway, it is currently downgrading. I appreciate your time and assistance in this thread - as always. Thanks guys :)

18. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    I just tried on my Bolt and it was thumbs down thumbs down rewind rewind to bring up the downgrade prompt.
    Did not want to go back so I selected cancel.

19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, odd. I can only tell you what was suggested to me and what worked. I guess it's trial and error.

20. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Sorry - when I said "Left Arrow" I meant to say the double arrow rocker on the left of the PAUSE array (which is actually the rewind button).

krkaufman likes this.