how to transfer lifetime sreies two to someone else

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by splice, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1 of 19
    splice

splice New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    indiana
    How do I go about transfering a series two unit with lifetime to another person? thanks splice

2. Jan 4, 2012 #2 of 19
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You give it to them, then they call Tivo and Tivo will handle it all, there is no need for you to do anything.

3. Jan 4, 2012 #3 of 19
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Yeah, don't have to do anything as the seller but if you are feeling helpful you can contact Tivo to let them know about the transfer and they will give you an incident number which you can pass along to the buyer. The last time I sold one I called and got the number but forgot to give it to the buyer and he ended up having to spend much more time talking to Tivo than he should have.

4. Jan 4, 2012 #4 of 19
    JavaJoe_2

JavaJoe_2 Member

Dec 31, 2010
    TiVo would not transfer ownership to me without the seller first contacting them. He had to give them the relevant data and they in turn gave him the incident number. Which was given to me and all was good after that. They told me that it was to reduce fraud. When you look on eBay people give out the serial number of the TiVo all the time. All you would have to do is use that and call TiVo.

5. Jan 5, 2012 #5 of 19
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    At which point the owner still has the TiVo and it still has a lifetime sub attached to its TiVo Service Number and only it will report that number to the TiVo servers so having it in your name gains you nothing and attaches your name to a fraudulent action in TiVo's records.

If the original owner finds out it's been switched to someone else's account because he loses his MSD, he's going to call TiVo to find out what's going on, at which time they've got your name and evidence of intent to defraud.

6. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    It may help to set the DVR up and go through Guided Setup. When I worked in our CS department it helped prove that the box was in the new owner's possession because it would display a new zip code and channel lineup. Of course, things may be different now...

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That system still works if the new owner set up the TiVo with his/her ZIP than calls TiVo.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    How does that work if the new owner lives in the same ZIP code area and possibly uses the same lineup? ;)

9. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    That's for the agent to figure out. I just said it "may" be helpful to Repeat Guided Setup. Honestly, if you pick up a DVR with Lifetime on it you should perform a Clear & Delete Everything anyway when you get it, after which you are forced to go through Guided Setup anyway.

The CS agents (phone or chat) will let you know what you'd need to get the ownership changed into your name. I would strongly urge you do so as the occasional opportunity arises to transfer that service and I've heard of cases where the previous owner transferred the service away to a different box.

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The new owner can use a nearby ZIP, if that the case, than change it later.

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Couldn't you just log onto your Tivo account and change the contact information as well as the e-mail address and password? Perform a Clear & Delete Everything to purge your info from the box. When the new owner takes possession of the Tivo he can log onto the account using the new e-mail address and password and change the password so his account is now secure. He can then run guided setup using the new zip code already updated in the account. I see no reason to have to contact Tivo at all.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's toll-free, just call up and talk to the nice CSR after enjoying the music for awhile.:)

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The seller may have more than that one Tivo on the account.
    The buyer may already have a Tivo (or more) and would need a new Tivo to be on the same account for MSD and/or MRV purposes.

14. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I sold an S3 Tivo about 16 months ago and it still shows up on my account as being inactive. I terminated the Tivo service on it before I sold it and the buyer never contacted me to complain about any issues getting it set up on his account. There's no option to remove a Tivo from your account online so I assume that's why you'd need to contact a CSR to make the change. I'm not getting billed for anything so I never saw the need to contact Tivo about it.

OTOH, there is an option to activate a new DVR online. If the new owner has an existing Tivo account it's simply a matter of logging on and entering the Tivo service number under the "Activate a new DVR" option on the account page. As long as it's not active on someone else's account there's no need to contact Tivo to get it set up.

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Not particularly relevant in a discussion on how to transfer a Tivo with a lifetime subscription.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I thought I remembered doing just what mr.unnatural talked about last time I picked up a used lifetimer. After all, I was activating what was to me a new DVR.

17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    It's exactly relevant. The lifetime service is tied to the Tivo service number. If it's deactivated on one account and reactivated on a new one it still has lifetime. There's no reason to ever have to talk to a Tivo CSR to make the transfer. In fact, I don't ever recall ever talking to a Tivo CSR when I activated my first S3 or even when I added lifetime to it. I also activated my 2nd S3 via the website and got it added with the MSD.

18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You can only activate a Tivo that doesn't have service on the web site. If you try to enter the TSN of a lifetime Tivo, you'll get a error message. You have to talk to a CSR after running guided set up.

19. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm pretty sure that's what I implied, except that you shouldn't have to talk to a CSR. In retrospect, I don't believe there's an option to deactivate a Tivo online so you will have to talk to a CSR to take a Tivo off of your account. I don't see why you'd have to talk to anyone to activate one, even with lifetime. My Tivo had already been activated with a 3-year commitment before I upgraded to lifetime so I can't verify that this is true. The only way to know for sure is to try it and let us know how it goes.