How to temporarily set up dual tivo's on 1 tv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ronpp, Jan 26, 2006.

1. ronpp

ronpp Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Virginia...
    D* is arriving next week to set up my hr10-250. The old R10 tivo has a bunch of movies & shows and my better half is asking if I can use both on the same tv for a while until she clears out the old tivo by watching everything. We want to set up the new hr10-250 as the main channel surfing, recording and watching machine, but reserve the second tivo just to watch what is already saved on it. We don't wish to do any additional recording with it. Is this possible?

Also, I added a second drive to the r10 last year. After she watches the rest of her stuff and I relegate it to the bedroom, I can remove the second drive from the r10 and install it in to the hdtivo, correct? I know the programs on it won't transfer or be recognized, but do I need to format it in any way or can I just move it over for the extra space?

Thanks

2. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Assuming that your TV has multiple inputs, I don't see why this wouldn't work. As far as removing the drives, you can't just remove one of the drives from a two drive setup because they are married. If you made a backup of the original drive, you can restore that to just the first drive again and then add the extra drive to the HR10-250. And no formating is necessary.

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    As Finnstang describe...

The R10 will work fine as a playback device, without any SAT signals provided to it.
    It will just take a little longer to start up, but other than that... you are good to go.

4. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    You will want to make sure you set them to different remote codes. Otherwise when you are deleting items from one you may be inadvertantly deleting items from the other.

5. JorgeGVB

JorgeGVB New Member

Jul 14, 2001
    Virginia...

I recently deleted a couple shows by accident. For some unknown reason, one of my remotes lost the change I made a few months ago. :(

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I can understand how this may happen with 2 idential tivos but are the HR10 and r10 that similar? I didn't know that. (guess the similar name should be a hint eh?) But sure glad I have sony as my 2nd box so I dont have to worry about it. And here I thought not being able to use the same remote for both boxes was a bad thing :) - got a universal since then of course so it's moot