How to tell which tuner is active (HR10-250)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JumboAg99, Oct 2, 2005.

1. JumboAg99

JumboAg99 New Member

Oct 2, 2005

Advertisements

Is there a way to tell which tuner is the one currently displaying to the screen (I.E. Sat 1, Sat 2, Antennae...)

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    There used to be a backdoor code you could enter that would display that information at the bottom of the screen, but that code was removed in the "e" software release.

For the satellite channels you can always disconnect one cable to see which tuner is being used. For the OTA HiDef channels this won't work because the cable is split internally to the two ATSC tuners.

Why do you care which tuner is being used?

3. chamelea

chamelea New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    USA West Coast
    New question - topic closely aligned = Bump.

I just connected a Pioneer DVR-633H behind my DSR-7000 direcTiVo, as follows:

TiVo's RF-out to 633's RF-in
    and 633's RF-out to TV's RF-1

TiVo's L1-out to 633's L1
    633's s-Vid & audio out, thru modulator, to TV's RF-2

I can switch televsion from Ant-1 to Ant-2 to rec'v either TiVo or 633. The Pioneer's transport controls are so good that I've taken to using it for watching 3 hrs/day of news. These shows are copied using Season Pass, but now I'm trying to also copy-direct onto the Pioneer's HDD, to take advantage of its transport. BEcause I'm sure that SP will tune-in at the right time, I simply need to program the Pio to record one hour at 5pm.

Problem: If I'm recording both news and SpongeBob at 5pm, how can I dictate that the News (tuner's a mystery) comes across the L1 to the Pioneer?

4. shanew1289

shanew1289 New Member

May 6, 2004
    edwardsville...
    I think all recordings start on the non-live tuner, UNLESS that channel is on the live tuner.

So if you are NOT on the channel for spongebob, then start that recording 1 minute EARLY. The "invisible" tuner should record spongebob. Then one miunute later, your "live" tuner should kick into recording the News.

Havent tried, but I think thats how it works.

5. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA

Advertisements

That is exactly the way it works, except that it always warns you with a message that it is going to use the other tuner, if you are in the other tuners live buffer.

The fun of having two live tuners! I still cannot understand why some of the "R15" users have no idea what they are missing when they do not have two live buffers, and additionally I would be throwing my DVR out the window if it kept resetting my live buffer each time I existed to perform some another function. HOW SPOILED WE ACTUALLY ARE to have two live buffers and a live buffer that only resets itself when we change channels. And additionally, I would really miss not being able to finish a live program in the currently live buffer when both tuners start recording.

6. chamelea

chamelea New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    USA West Coast
    Quick response, though the answer's a little bit disappointing. I wish there was some way to target a tuner & output as a dedicated pair.

But TiVo never contemplated this kind of need as a reasonable service model for their customers ... why the heck would anyone EVER need to SCHEDULE copies from TiVo to an external component. How this world changes in only five years!!

Thanks to you both~!

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Why do you need to record it on the Non-DTiVo? If you've got both tuners on the appropriate channels, why not just record and watch from the DTiVo? Or did I miss some reason why you would rather watch the playback from a secondary device.

8. chamelea

chamelea New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    USA West Coast
    Question is valid ... Pioneer DVR-633H-S has great flexibility in its transport controls. Most significant is the hyperscan (my word) which permits playback @ x1.33, with sound, great for blasting thru my 3 hrs of daily news. Also, rather than clicking the 30-skip to get thru a commercial, you can click Pio's skip button straight up to 3 mins.

I had been capturing on TiVo and then using "copy to VCR" to get it over to the Pioneer. Tonight I copied simultaneously to both units. If novelty does not wear off, the next step might bypass the wear'n tear on TiVo's drive by just capturing the stream directly onto the Pioneer. TiVo is still way better for ease of capture and convenience - I'm just targeting this experiment at news.

But the Pioneer is extremely flexible for editing out commercials and archiving stuff to DVD, according to the experts it has PQ as good or better than competitors, the high-speed write to DVD is awesome, and it even includes the dual-layer option. All that for 300 bucks (model 531) at Walmart ... amazing technology!