How to Teach Dual Tuner it is NOW a Single Station Recorder

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dougcan, Jan 24, 2009.

1. dougcan

dougcan New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC

Advertisements

Our Cable company just required that we start to use a Digital Converter Box. We finally got it working with our TIVO. However, Now we can only record one station at a time on our Dual Tuner Series 2 but the TIVO doesn't realize that and does not let us know when a second request is in conflict.
    Is there any way for me to tell it that it can only get one station to record at a time?

Additionally, We have 148 season passes. Any way to learn when two programs were scheduled to be recorded at the same time? (Most were to be recorded only when first run so not all conflicts show on todo list). We have two other single tuner TIVOs and can manipulate season passes between the three if we know which programs to move about.
    We've taken photos of the season pass manager list but that is of minimal help.

Any Ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Barbara & Doug

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Did you repeat guided setup?
    On the channels you receive list, are there two of some channels with one being labeled as 'cbl' and the other as 'box'? If you uncheck all of the 'cbl' channels, it will only record from the box.

It's possible that the programs that were scheduled before the change was made are still scheduled as if no change has been made. In that case, you can cancel each recording and then reschedule it to record. You may have to cancel and the recreate the SP's.

3. dougcan

dougcan New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks for the suggestion but that really doesn't address our problem. We are totally hooked up and everything is recording on the appropriate new channels. However, every time there are two programs to record, the higher priority one does and the other can't so 0:00 minutes record.

The TIVO still thinks that it can record two programs at the same time. It cannot since there is only one input available to it now and for the future. There is no more analog signal available from our cable network so everything is now BOX. We need the TIVO software in our dual tuner to revert back to the single tuner software since it is now limited to receiving only one program at a time.

Thanks to all who give thought to our problem. I think it is one numerous owners will be facing shortly.

With appreciation for your ideas,
    Barbara and Doug

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Did you repeat guided setup?

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

As others have suggested, I believe you may need to re-run Guided Setup to specify that you are only using digital cable, so the TiVo knows not to use the analog tuners. I no longer have a Series2 so I can't recall exactly what screen options are given.

6. dougcan

dougcan New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    That was it. The setup question that asked about the way the splitter was set up was the key. Indeed our system was set up with the splitter as illustrated so we had initially answered "yes". But when I went back and answered "no," I was then asked questions enabling me to inform the TIVO that I did not want to dually record.

Thank each of you so much. Too bad that they don't have that particular question worded so that one has a clue that it is THE ONE!

I'm in for a massive SP revision session this afternoon. At least, I know how to accomplish this task, even if it is labor intensive.

Again, our extreme Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
    Barbara and Doug

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
  8. dougcan

dougcan New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    So it did. Wish we had known about that internet site earlier, we might have determined the problem on our own. But so glad this site is here to help out.

So, now I'm going to post a new problem.

Again our thanks to each of you.
    Barbara and Doug

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You didn't know that TiVo had a website? Never heard of Tivo.com?

10. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I use an Excel spreadsheet to track season passes between the TiVos. The spreadsheet helps keep from conflicts.

We also divide SPs by broadcast station on those where we can use MRV to transfer shows. So one TiVo gets CBS and ABC, and another gets NBC, FOX, and SciFi. A third grabs History & Discovery, plus odd and ends.

11. dougcan

dougcan New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Oh yes, we well knew about tivo.com but finding the information one needs within it is a totally different ballgame. I always appreciate the guiding hand to help me find the answer that is buried within.

The idea of having each of the three tivos dedicated to different stations is a great one. I'd never thought about doing that.
    I am just now deleting all the SPM from the one that used to be a dual tuner, the other two have much less storage and were always single station units. I decided to just start from scratch and recreate the SPM so that I could catch each instance when dual recording had been in effect. I photographed the list before starting.

It is strange that one cannot just download the SPM list and print it out, or better still type it all in and upload it all at once. Would be so much easier and more time saving, it took over 45 minutes just deleting. I wish you could do more Tivo management from the computer. Not just requesting it to record a show on a specific unit but actually managing what is being recorded where and moving shows from one unit to another.

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Another advantage to setting up your SPs by channel when you have multiple DVRs is that you get far fewer conflicts when certain shows don't start or stop exactly on time. If Grey's Anatomy is scheduled for 1:01 and Private Practice is 0:59 my 'ABC' Tivo could care less. It also helps that I get that last minute of Heros at the start of My Own Worst Enemy even though NBC didn't schedule it to run over.